Lyell

micksfishn

planned on takng the boat up to lyell today but ended up just land bassed again after coming home empty handed after the last 2 trips flicking lures and plastics thought id power biat it today arrived at 530am flicked lures till 10 for nothn switched to power bait and bingo small rainbow at the bank spat the hook and gone ah well 20 mins later the rod buckles over jump up grab it drag singing after a nice little fight i land a 47cm rainbow weighing just over 1.1kg (cleaned) had a few more runs with the power bait but missed the hook ups now to get 1 on a lure ill give it another few weeks to get cloder i think.

pics taken at home as i 4got the camera again

mick

post-3591-1212991151_thumb.jpg

post-3591-1212991180_thumb.jpg

That's a very nice Rainbow, Mick! :thumbup: Top stuff!!

I have read a bit about powerbait of late so it's nice to hear of Raiders having some success with it. Looking forward to reading of your luring success in the next couple of weeks.

Hodgey

Nice Rainbow breamhntr,

We camped Lyell, last weekend but with lesser results. :(

3 landbased and 1 in the boat, for the Friday to Sunday only managed 3 undersized Rainbows, a Yabby and a goldfish. :(

Used Hard bodies, Tassie devils, Soft plastics, worms, mudeyes etc but all taken on powerbait and returned for a future fight.

Bit of a concern was the huge schools of goldfish up where the Cox's river meets Farmers creek. :(

Bit of a concern was the huge schools of goldfish up where the Cox's river meets Farmers creek. :(

it is deffinatley tuff up there at the moment i reccon iv put in clost to 20 hours for 1 legal fish,iv heard about thesebut not seen them but iv heard carp(koi) not good at all it only takes one goose to introduce a new species to stuff it all

STEVE in the lake with rainbow coloured power bait

Edited by breamhntr

Nice little feed there Mick.

Lyell will be a bit slow for a while now but that's normal and to be expected for this time of year.

I've been using Powerbait for many years now and it is certainly good for rainbows but not much else unfortunately.

Nice Rainbow breamhntr,

Yes they are of concern but considering goldfish (koi, carp) have been swimming there since even I started fishing Lyell in the mid to late eighties, it could be worse. :05:

I remember seeing goldfish swimming around in all the streams in Lithgow when I was living there in the eighties, it's definately a shame. :thumbdown:

Even Wenty lake had the buggers swimming around in it when I was a kid and also the creek flowing in and out of it. :(

cheers

Hooky

Edited by Hooky.

Yes Mate, Top fish that is a ripper.............

When the lake was patrolled years ago (when I was a teen) some people let their gold fish stash loose if a ranger was in the area as they were used for live bait off the bottom. My brother used to come accross the odd set line over the years where the small gold fish where used, now look what it's doing :ranting2:

Anyway good to see ya got a great fish.

Cheers

Roffo

Yeah Good Trout there Mick.

We fish Lyell a fair bit, and Rainbow Power Bait seems to work the best.

Note:

Power bait. Fish light as possible, oo ball down to small swivel 500 trace size 10 hook and open bail arm.

Plastics, 2lb Braid, 1meter 2lb flurocarbon, 1/24 jig head and smelt or pink Plastics.

Trolling, Lead Line running Brown trout patternTassie devils will get you some good Browns.

Good Luck. :1fishing1:

Snap

Thats a fat Rainbow, 1.1kg for 47cm is damned good :thumbup:

Not a surprise the fishing is slowing up compared to what it was a short time ago, the fish will be moving into spawning mode especially with the rain coming in.

I would be targetting the mouth of the Cox River and Farmers Creek for fish still stocking up. Rainbows in particular don't spawn (normally) until the end of winter but they may go earlier with the rain.

I wouldn't get overly worried about the Goldish, most of our mainland Trout Lakes are chock full of the buggers. Jindabyne has a massive population of them and if anything, they provide a wonderful forage fish for the Trout. The Gudgeons and Goldfish are the cause of some of the big Browns that come out of there and they do give you an indication of what Colour and style lure to use :biggrin2: I would be more worried about Carp myself.

Cheers

Windy