Marine Radio - Quick Question

shefford

Installing a new radio in my boat in the next week hopefully, did you guys bother to buy an extra cover to permantly encase the radio while it is installed? To prevent corrosion, and water getting in through the back of the radio, as some models are not fully encased.

Im going to install it to the left hand side of my centre console and the inside of the radio is going to sit in the storage area.....

The face of the radio will probably get wet no doubt at any stage... so

Will it be all good to go if I buy a fully water proof radio, mount it, and it can stay in the boat while it is stored?

69825_lg.jpg

Waterproof, compact 27 MHz radio, dual band for both land and marine. • Large backlit LCD display with Lamp Dimming Function • Rotary Squelch Control • Programmable Memory Channel Scan • Advanced Noise Limiter (NL) Circuitry • User Selection of Australian 27 MHz Marine or 27 MHz CB Channels • Channel 88 and Priority channel selector key • Dual Watch feature • Water proof design (IP55) protects against water spray • Available in Black or White • Remote Channel Change Function Microphone • Multiple mounting options (flush or Gimbal mount) • Provision for 10 Private Channels (GME Programmable Option Only). Dimensions: 167W x 65H x 70D (mm). Weight 450 grams.
Edited by iricangi

I do not know for certain but i was told the 27MHz is being phased out. Might be worth looking at VHF.

Vhf is the go as you have stated and that is in the pipeline about the 27 meg.

You do need a licence to operate a VHF radio and you will get a call sign to verify who you are.

Cheers Stewy

Installing a new radio in my boat in the next week hopefully, did you guys bother to buy an extra cover to permantly encase the radio while it is installed? To prevent corrosion, and water getting in through the back of the radio, as some models are not fully encased.

Im going to install it to the left hand side of my centre console and the inside of the radio is going to sit in the storage area.....

The face of the radio will probably get wet no doubt at any stage... so

Will it be all good to go if I buy a fully water proof radio, mount it, and it can stay in the boat while it is stored?

69825_lg.jpg

I have a 27meg and I remove it before cleaning the boat. If it is left out in the elements it won't last long as I have found out by experience. All my electricals come out and live in a bag in the cupboard inside the house. I don't believe they are as waterproof as they clam to be. My stereo is mounted with a waterproof case & after the rain you will see moisture inside the cover.

Do you plan to fish offshore? Then a vhf is a must as 27meg will only work in line of sight.

Beware of the GME GX300 with regard to full weather exposure... i have had two fail since February, mine are mounted in the dash and are only subject to light salt spray. Fortunately GME covered the warranty, but removing the flush mounted unit was a bitch seeing as i sikaflexed the shit out of the first unit i installed.