Yellowtail, Jack Mackerel, Cowanyoung

Kit

After seeing Yellowtail being labelled as Mackerel in SA, and also seeing them called Jack Mackerel in Japan, I decided to do some research.

Now I knew that there was a species of fish called Cowanyoung that look very similar to Yellowtail; but after reading up on it, it seems that Cowanyoung and Jack Mackerel are the same fish, and are closely related to the Yellowtail.

See here:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/research/areas/s...ck-Mackerel.pdf

My question is: how do you differentiate between a Jack Mackerel (Cowanyoung) and a yellowtail?

And the huge yellowtail we have been catching in the harbour lately, are they infact Cowanyoung?

Chris

And the huge yellowtail we have been catching in the harbour lately, are they infact Cowanyoung?

Chris

Yes, the undersideof their gills are black. The underside of yellowtail gills are .. not black.

Yes, the undersideof their gills are black. The underside of yellowtail gills are .. not black.

ahhh yes. I noticed that when I was cleaning them. They weren't black, but more like an algae look..

I just assumed they were bigger, hence older, and had some algae growth on their gills..

I also noticed that the Cowanyoung don't have "the doctor"

I did some more searching and a site says that you can count the scutes on the fish, cowanyoung typically have more.. Also Cowanyoung have a straight lateral line were as Yellowtail have an arch in their lateral line towards the front.

oh and these cowanyoung..

They taste pretty good when prepared as sashimi :)

oh and these cowanyoung..

They taste pretty good when prepared as sashimi :)

I can vouch for that, seeing as you made me some a few months back.

Wasnt that bad.

Just like Whitebait when cooked properly, but its just the thought in my mind that i eat bait which is un-nerving :wacko:

Kamil

Wasnt that bad.

Just like Whitebait when cooked properly, but its just the thought in my mind that i eat bait which is un-nerving :wacko:

Kamil

I know how to prepare them properly for sashimi now.. they taste real good. :)

Wasnt that bad.

Kamil

i'm sure you eat prawns too mate !