Bonito Thick Around The Heads

Jigholio

As per the title. Trolled around the heads late this arvo -just to escape the 'jacket plague- and the bonnie action was hot. Was a solo mission so only one rod used. kept 3, released 5 and a rat. Nine hard charging light tackle firecrackers within 1hr on sunset...champagne fishing

Stainless inox CD-MAG14 in clown did all the damage. These things are dynamite! I don't think they're made anymore?? 8 takes were on the set-back or retrieve...ya gotta work it baby! I'm sure they follow for quite some time & the change in retrieve is the trigger.

Weekend is looking a bit nautical, let's hope they stay awhile.

Good paste mate, I love it when it all comes together.

I often fool around with retrievel speeds and techniques when I know the fish are there but only following, quite fun to try and find the right formula for the day.

What were you doing that was getting them to strike instead of just follow?

I was castign into a big school of slimies about a month ago, used every lure I had with no strickes. Eventually I let the lure pause and sink half way in, the cheeky buggers would then stricke when I start winding again.

Spanker

Thanks Bro. The reel is spooled with braid + a 30m mono topshot. Keeping the troll speed a bit slower than usual 2.5-3kn just wound in about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the mono then freespooled it back to the 30m mark, didn't work the rod at all. All but one of the bonnie strikes were within 3 secs of engaging the gears, just like your experience with the macks. the kingi however took it on the retrieve only 3m from the rod tip.

Simple but effective!