Jewie Tackle

OSHISWET

Hi Raiders , I need your PROFESSIONAL advice.

What are the best and proven soft plastics lures used to catch jewfish? :(

I think this question should be sent to the pro Jew fishos on this forum.

I have never caught jews on anything other than strip or live baits.

Maybe other Raiders may have had success on plastics.

Time, patience, planning, right gear and a good deal of good luck should secure you a capture of the elusive Jew.

However, I will stand corrected.

My faves are 5 inch gulp jerk shads & 125mm squidgy fish in black/green & gold or slick rigs.

Can't go too far wrong with those.

I've also caught a couple on 3 & 4 inch bass minnows in pearl w/melon ( now power minnows. )

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Marcel I don't use soft plastics on jew as such like the electric motor boys do.

Up north when I fish for flathead on harbodies in the daytime in areas around bridges with access to a narrow channel in a narrow section, a fair way up river, and particularly around narrow bridges and in creeks etc, preferably with the one and only channel being just off a sand bank which I look out for, for flathead that is, I sometimes get one or two jew as well as bream on the hardbodies that I use for my flathead. I finished up with three last January and Little Jewgaffer got a couple while fishing harbodies for flathead as well.

It's a different ball game when the jew come on near the mouth in the main rivers up there, so I drop a jig down on a cannon downrigger or a non casting Alvey and raise the bomb about a metre and a half to two metres above the bottom. I use a heavy running sinker on the non casting Alvey and I drop the jig out first, while holding the running sinker in my hand, and let the squid lookalike flow off in the current and feed the heavy sinker out later, giving it more line to catch up somewhere in between the fluttering lure and the sinker which would have reached the bottom further back towards the boat than the lure due to the light weight of the lure in the current and the weight of the sinker on the bottom.

In addition to live bait I use the following bottom jigging type plastics shown in the pics. They are all squid profile lures and the two in tandem together are Tsnunamis. I put the rigs together using 8/0 Gamamatsus, a teaser with lumo beads and 80lb Jinghai leader but have recently dropped down to 60lb leader for Sydney fishing.

post-829-1213438528_thumb.jpg

The middle lure is another squid profile lure, the make I can't remember and although it's smaller it's taken a few fish including jew in its time. I can vary the weight of the jig head with that one to keep the nose down and the flutter up, according to current while the hand fed sinker or the cast out sinker still holds the main line down solid to the rod tip and the heavy main sinker holds bottom.

The top lure in the pic is a big foot long squid shape lure made by Jabooli Lures Qld which I rigged up with a crimped 100lb leader and 12/0 hook and I can add a treble to the tail area before I tie the 12/0. As you can see Marcel I'm thinking very positive for a real big jewfish with the 12/0 and this foot long special hot dog which couuld prove quite tasty, that's if I get time to use it :D

I have hooked up jew, bream and flathead on these tandem Tsumamis. They're like daisy chains and I have often added another one to make it look like three squid going along. They work well slowly winding the rig up a few metres and just letting the assembly of lures flutter back down again with a jig or two here and there.

I often run 4-6 jew rods and have been meaning to at least get one or two of these squid lures up off the bottom in the Hawkesbury due to the number of the freeks and pests in the bi-catch in the deep water in the Hawkesbury this year.

Marcel I hope this helps you when fishing for jew at anchor especially now that you and Ray have installed downriggers. I reckon reckon rather than going upstream just yet you and Ray could do a bit of anchoring around the boats in the deepwater not far from the spit.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

G'Day Marcel

A local estuary guide here, who has a well-deserved reputation for consistently catching good jewies on soft plastics, uses the largest wriggler he can find in either bloodworm or black/gold, and the pre-weighed slick rigs produced by the same manufacturers.

Cheers and good luck!

Hodgey

Lumpookey,

Try these: 4" Pogy in pumpkin seed, white (glow) or the poddy colours (brown and cream).

Also try a 7" white jerk shad and a size 6-7 black and gold squidgy fish.

It really is more about the action you impart on the lure than the lure itself. Nice slow jig just off the bottom works for me.

When in doubt, go a dark coloured lure and make sure the jig head has a heavy gague hook.. not necessarily a big hook, but heavy gague.

Mate,

Honestly every sp in the bag will catch jews. As cephlapod said its the action you put into it PLUS, and here is the clincher.... using them when jew are present....cant catch whats not there!

Id consentrate on finding the fish and knockin on the door with just about anything. Ive had success on 3" grubs, stickbaits all the way up to 8"shad and minnows???? Every colour too.

If i had to choose 1 though the 4" Power Minnows seem to be the most consistent producer especially in pumpkinseed.