Middle Harbour Jews

Roffo

Hi Gang,

I'm thinking of my first jew sesh around middle harbour, where and what SP should I start with????

I have a 7' spin rod with 15lb braid is this enough ?????????

What size leader do I need for these things??????

Thanks

Roffo

i think this exact question was asked very recently... check through this section and chat and you should find it.

20lb leader should be sufficient

squidgy fish size 4-6 in black and gold or drop bear

jerk shad in nuke chicken 4-7inch

squidgy wriggler 110mm in bloodworm

these are fairly good lures that you could trial

I am yet to catch a jew on plastics but from what i have heard it is only really the initial run that you need to watch out for. I use a 6'6 spin combo with 10lb braid. Keep in mind that its going to depend on where your fishing ie surrounding structure and also the size of the fish you are likely to encounter. My tackle may seem a bit light to some but the area i usually fish doesnt produce massive fish, usually only around the 80cm mark max... in my opinion i think that your gear would be fine!

Most jew are hooked in reatively fisher freindly areas so 6-10lb braid is enuf. I use either 14lb or 20lb fluro leader depending if the fish are timid or not. I also run a 3-5kg stick. A 2-4kg would do the job of landing a jew, even up to 15kg, but the heavy jighead and lures mean i can cast furhter and have better control with the heavier stick.

Really any lure will work. Its more a matter of finding the fish and frustrating them to bite than anything else

Hi Roffo are you talking about your first sp session in Middle Harbour being in a boat or landbased and do you intend night or day fishing or both ?

If any one has a chance of catching jew on the right right sp/s up there I'd say you would. Drop down lures and the deep water lures with the right sinking action and casting weight would need to be included as well.

When boat fishing, some areas you will need to fish have up to and over 80 foot in depth.

The lure action and good swimming action under the casting weight, which has to also suit the rod, particulaly for long distance casting, and a heavier braid will need to be looked at as well. There will also be other relevent factors as to weight and lure action on the day including depth and near lack of current.

There are deep water spots towards the harbour end that fish well for jew in a boat where you can also work sp's from the land using a lively beach rod so you can get your lure well out just before and in the still water and from the start of the run in tide. Jew being as they are will come in closer but all the same you need to have good casting range, and I am first off talking about spots with not much motoring or any bush walking to do. The bush walking of course is at the far end and is an alternative which has been popular for jewfishermen for years.

There are long runs in Middle Harbour with lots of territory to fish along those runs. It's funny how so many locations up there can suddenly become secret spot x's.

As a matter of fact the guilty find some way to slip up and reveal their spot x after a show of pics of undersize freaks and plugging the sp's one minute and the next minute complaining about weed beds :lol: and line scorchers, and unstoppable jew on 60lb braid and falling victim to well worked sps in weed beds in the same secret spot x :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi Roffo are you talking about your first sp session in Middle Harbour being in a boat or landbased and do you intend night or day fishing or both ?

If any one has a chance of catching jew on the right right sp/s up there I'd say you would. Drop down lures and the deep water lures with the right sinking action and casting weight would need to be included as well.

When boat fishing, some areas you will need to fish have up to and over 80 foot in depth.

The lure action and good swimming action under the casting weight, which has to also suit the rod, particulaly for long distance casting, and a heavier braid will need to be looked at as well. There will also be other relevent factors as to weight and lure action on the day including depth and near lack of current.

There are deep water spots towards the harbour end that fish well for jew in a boat where you can also work sp's from the land using a lively beach rod so you can get your lure well out just before and in the still water and from the start of the run in tide. Jew being as they are will come in closer but all the same you need to have good casting range, and I am first off talking about spots with not much motoring or any bush walking to do. The bush walking of course is at the far end and is an alternative which has been popular for jewfishermen for years.

There are long runs in Middle Harbour with lots of territory to fish along those runs. It's funny how so many locations up there can suddenly become secret spot x's.

As a matter of fact the guilty find some way to slip up and reveal their spot x after a show of pics of undersize freaks and plugging the sp's one minute and the next minute complaining about weed beds :lol: and line scorchers, and unstoppable jew on 60lb braid and falling victim to well worked sps in weed beds in the same secret spot x :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

post-6766-1213906038_thumb.jpg

Thanks JG,

Called in at Go Fish on the way home last night a picked up a couple of plastics (as pictured above) I hope these are a good start (the right size and colours).

The two outfits pictured are the 20lb on the ABU and 30lb on the 6500BTR (my kingy boat outfit), I can use either reel on 10 foot general purpose rod from the shore to start with. I was thinking about opening my account upstream of the Roseville Bridge on foot and then my for the next trip in some gutters of Sugar loaf bay and other areas close by from aboat.

These rubbers are going to be flicked a mile given the weight, what type of retrieval is used for these monster lures ??

Cheers

Roffo

Edited by Roffo

Those placcies are good mate! i have heard from others about the storm lures and the colours you have chosen are all so good, as are the locations you suggested. The retrieve will have to be varied throughout the day to try and find an action and speed that suits the feeding style of the day. Most people use the technique where you let the lure sink to the bottom and start the rod tip at 3o'clock and bring it up to 12o'clock in three jerks. The speed of the jerks will be varied on what you think is suited. then let the lure sink back to the bottom, wind the slack and repeat...

• 2 weeks later...

Your Tackle should be fine.

Of late I have been targeting Jew around middle Harbour a bit with average to good results. I mainly use a 7' 2-5 or 3-6kg spin rod matched with Daiwa certate 2000 or Quantum Tour edition reels. 6-8lb Platypus sinking Braid with 10-15lb leader.

The most succesful lures lately have been 5" Jerk baits in Sardine as well as Squidgy fish in Silver fox. As for Hard bodies 100mm Daiwa (??hyper minnow??) have also claimed a few.

The retrieve has been varied depending on the direct area I am targeting. If I have been fishing around boulders in the deeper water I have been using a very aggresive whipping technique, allowing the lure to swim back to the bottom sitting for about 5 seconds and aggresivly whipping again. This is a technique I usually associate with summer time jewies but with the bait fish action of late it has worked wonders.

With targeting middle harbour jew around bridges I have found that the fish pattern with a stron g pulsating tail action works best. Not over agressive on the retrieve. A simple lift drop keeping in close contact with the bottom but also keeping in mind of the depth you are fishing as this can hamper the lures action meaning you may need to put a bit more grunt into you lift to have that tail really working.

I have found that around bridges the larger jewies are very tide dependant asnd the change / first hour of the run out has produced the most and larger models.

Las but most exciting area I have been getting them is drop offs from flats and rock walls. The water is a lot clearer so longer casts, lighter line and a slow presentation is needed. what works for me is unweighted jerk baits fished on a worm hook and slowly worked across the flat and allowed to drift down the drop offs with slight twitches on the way. With HB's in this territory slowly twitching them so they are nuding the rubble bottom and then suspending them in the " zone" once you reach the drop off should hopefully yield some results.

Well this is what has been working for me and I hope there is something in there that may help you.

Cheers,

Mitch

Thanks Gang,

That should point me in the right direction.

Can't wait to give it a go.

If anyone is heading to MH in the next couple of weekends let me know I would be keen to tag along and learn how it's done.

Cheers

Roffo