Sp,s Or Bait

CR@ZY OS@M@

I'm only new to it with Snapper but favourite.... plastics by a galaxy. An awesome way to catch quality fish. I'm not arguing you'll get more fish but I love it because it's much more akin to hunting than fishing... really active and full of adrenalin the whole time.

Favourite plastics so far are without doubt Gulp 7" and 5" Jerk Shads. No such thing as the 'right' weight jig head... entirely dependent on water depth, drift speed, current flow, plastic, etc. What you're aiming for though is to have the plastic drift to the bottom... not plummet like a stone. Snapper hit plastics on the drop a lot.

Too much weight and you're not in the 'zone' effectively... too little and you'll never get there. Start with something about 1/4-5/8 OZ and go up or down according to conditions.

Cheers, Slinky (and remember I'm still a plastics learner when it comes to Snapper before you take my advice too seriously)

start the shallower water early morning and work your way throughout the day.

i caught my snapper on bait in the arvo in 16metres of water,snapper was 1.8 kilo.

was talking to a local of nelson bay , him and his 2 sons went out fishing for snapper and he caught 1 on bait while his 2 sons caught 10 on sp,s

Edited by Crazy John

Mate go the plastics as Slinky says it's a great way to get Snapper. I am only a newby to fishing this way as well, only 3 weeks ago I caught my first SP Snapper up at Broughton Island..

whats better, a single sp workng the bottom or a paternoster rig using sp,s

Fishing a single plastic on a relatively light outfit is the way to go for having fun but it also allows you to get the best from plastics. The most common basic technique is to cast as far ahead as you can in the direction you are drifting and let the plastic drift to the bottom. Then work the plastic back to the boat (if it reaches the bottom) in twitches and wriggles or whatever seems to turn the fish on that day. The hits can come anywhere but fishing like this allows you to work the whole water column with a very sensitive outfit. You'll be in total, direct control of everything the plastic does.

Using a paternoster can be very effective... the Silstar Jig'em Rigs are set up that way... but it's more like bottom bouncing or bait fishing so I don't enjoy it nearly as much. I'd suggest maybe you try both during a day out and just keep doing the one you like.

There's no right or wrong way to fish... only fishing you enjoy or fishing you don't. Most people I know who have 'spin fished' plastics over reefs this way though find an irresistable urge afterwards to spend ridiculous amounts of money on all sorts of plastic fishing toys. Just ask Go Fish Pete how often I drop into the store 'just to pick up a few odds and ends' (today it was a new bottle of Ultrabite liquid).... the dangers of having them within easy reach during my lunch break!

Cheers, Slinky

Help for those even greener at the soft plastic scene (ie me )

If with bait you usually go to spot x on gps and usually anchor up, start a berley trail, pilchards etc on hook, throw it into berley trail and with luck catch a snapper if around.

1. Now if you get to spot x and want to use plastics do you just start casting around as you drift towards spot x ??? or is it more calculated??

2. Does it make a difference if spot x is a reef 10 - 20 mtres down OR if y is at the edge of on island/cliff face or bommie etc???

I see from slinky and others that there is a lot of technique to it but at the moment I still need to sort out where to position the boat to start casting when I get to spot x??

The berley trail hopefully brings the fish closer to you but with plastics and drifting how far around the spot do you travel if you dont get any bights??

Do you use the sounder to look for fish or bait fish etc when you are going to use plastics in an area or just hope that they will be there on the day because the structure you are at is usually productive with bait fishing??

snapper are often on the edge of a reef ,if you fish on the reef ,you will get crap fish such as wrasse,poor mans lobster and sargeant baker.

snapper are often 1 to 2 metres off the bottom.

Edited by Crazy John

Help for those even greener at the soft plastic scene (ie me )

If with bait you usually go to spot x on gps and usually anchor up, start a berley trail, pilchards etc on hook, throw it into berley trail and with luck catch a snapper if around.

1. Now if you get to spot x and want to use plastics do you just start casting around as you drift towards spot x ??? or is it more calculated??

2. Does it make a difference if spot x is a reef 10 - 20 mtres down OR if y is at the edge of on island/cliff face or bommie etc???

I see from slinky and others that there is a lot of technique to it but at the moment I still need to sort out where to position the boat to start casting when I get to spot x??

The berley trail hopefully brings the fish closer to you but with plastics and drifting how far around the spot do you travel if you dont get any bights??

Do you use the sounder to look for fish or bait fish etc when you are going to use plastics in an area or just hope that they will be there on the day because the structure you are at is usually productive with bait fishing??

Some big questions in there.

The best locations for drift fishing are those where there is a reasonable 'area' to fish. For example an isolated wreck in the middle of nowhere would be possibly better fished at anchor because you'd only get one cast in the zone if drifting. Alternatively, you could use a heavier jig head and fish straight up and down doing many short drifts over the spot. There is also no reason why you can't anchor and berley and fish the plastics in the berley trail... on an isolated patch of ground this would be very productive.... again for me it's just the 'fun' factor that leads me to drift fishing with plastic.

The locations I enjoy have larger areas that allow a long, productive drift. This might be along a reef edge, over a reef, along the wall of an island/bommie etc. The idea is to use the technique to 'cover' an area. If nothing turns up then you can move to the next area. It doesn't matter what depth the water is or the type of structure... if there are fish to be found there it's worth fishing. You just need to adjust your jigs, drifts, etc to suit.

When you're looking for an area you should definitely use your sounder to look for signs of fish or bait. If you don't find them it doesn't mean there are no fish but your chances and confidence will be a lot better on a lively patch of ground. If you know a spot is a reliable producer and there's nothing on the sounder, maybe do one or 2 quick drifts and if nothing happens, move on. But Invest most of your time in areas where there are good showings on the sounder.

As far as positioning the boat, when you get to your spot work out which way you're going to drift then set yourself up on the 'up-drift' edge of your area. Start casting and work your way to the other end of the drift where you no longer have good ground to cover. That way you cover the whole patch. You can adjust each subsequent drift by a small distance (Say 20m) to cover a slightly different part of your area on each drift... or if you got good results the first time just keep going over the same drift.

A word of warning... if you're fishing near bombies or islands, etc... make sure you've got someone controlling the boat while you're fishing. The last thing you need is to be picked up by a wave and dumped on the rocks while you're concentrating on fish.

Cheers, Slinky