Minn Kota 55ap

Golden Monk

Got a Minn Kota 55AP today, and it has a sticker ..

-- SOME BOATS DO NOT HAVE ADEQUATE WIRING FOR TROLLING MOTORS THIS POWERFULL. THE WIRING FROM BATTERIES TO THE MOTOR SHOULD BE 8 GUAGE OR LARGER, AND MUST BE FUSED WITH A 50 AMP MANUAL RESET CIRCUIT BREAKER.

Now do I need to get myself a 50 AMP Manual circuit breaker, or can I wire the motor straight up to the battery?

Thanks

Got a Minn Kota 55AP today, and it has a sticker ..

-- SOME BOATS DO NOT HAVE ADEQUATE WIRING FOR TROLLING MOTORS THIS POWERFULL. THE WIRING FROM BATTERIES TO THE MOTOR SHOULD BE 8 GUAGE OR LARGER, AND MUST BE FUSED WITH A 50 AMP MANUAL RESET CIRCUIT BREAKER.

Now do I need to get myself a 50 AMP Manual circuit breaker, or can I wire the motor straight up to the battery?

Thanks

29300[/snapback]

Just as side note to the above...I need to get a regulated battery charger...how do I know if the charger is regulated?

Thanks Again

It's always good to put a fuse in to any electrical circuit, but in saying that I never put one in to my last Minn (55ap), and I havent got one in the current (65Ap). I think if you have your Minn battery charging off you motors alternator or you use the cranking battery as its power source, then a fuse would be a good idea in case of a surge. But I dont charge off the alternator or use the cranking battery and when I do charge the batteries I disconnect the Minn via the anderson plug.

The statement on the Minn obviously refers to wiring in relation to the cranking battery, which I would never run a Minn from. Minn APs suffer a few problems but I have never heard of one blowing up from a power surge.

It's always good to put a fuse in to any electrical circuit, but in saying that I never put one in to my last Minn (55ap), and I havent got one in the current (65Ap). I think if you have your Minn battery charging off you motors alternator or you use the cranking battery as its power source, then a fuse would be a good idea in case of a surge. But I dont charge off the alternator or use the cranking battery  and when I do charge the batteries I disconnect the Minn via the anderson plug.

The statement on the Minn obviously refers to wiring in relation to the cranking battery, which I would never run a Minn from.  Minn APs suffer a few problems but I have never heard of one blowing up from a power surge.

29303[/snapback]

Ok, thanks Mick, it will be running off a 100AMP Appollo GEL Deep Cycle, and battery will be charged with a battery charger

Edited by Golden Monk