Does Anyone Still Use Chicken Guts For Bait?

Dreamtime

I can remember some years back purchasing packets of frozen chicken gut at the local servo or bait shop.

Is it still available, and does anyone use it with any success.

We used to use it mainly for targeting bream. Wasn't as successful as fresh bait though.

Also used to cut up steak in small strips, that was very successful on the bream.

Edited by Mariner 31

We soak it in abit of tuna oil before use.

As you said not always as succesful as fresh bait and with the tuna oil it makes you stink.

It does go a bit better at night on the Hacking flats than nippers though.

Dave

Hi Mariner Chicken gut it still a very popular beam bait over here and is readily available in refrigerated packs and specially prepared for bait shops. When the bream are around chicken gut seems to keep them on the bite. Chicken gut stays on the hook longer and you can wind a tight bait on just nicely around say 2/0 baitholder hooks and have a length of the entrail hanging off the hook as well. As far as I'm concerned chicken gut is still the No1 drummer bait. Maybe you're starting to get a little homesick mariner. It would be good if you come over to your old stomping grounds for a holiday in the spring time and meet up with the boys at the Botany Bay Social.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

I can remember some years back purchasing packets of frozen chicken gut at the local servo or bait shop.

Is it still available, and does anyone use it with any success.

We used to use it mainly for targeting bream. Wasn't as successful as fresh bait though.

Also used to cut up steak in small strips, that was very successful on the bream.

Hey Mariner 31 i used to use chicken for bait for bream.. but i dont really use it anymore... and if i do its with tuna oil to make some burly for the place.

Cheers Cox Craft :1fishing1: