My Trip To Cairns

Big-Pete

Hi Raiders,

I promised to give a report on my trip up to Cairns. My wife ans I went up to Cairns mid may up tp the 1st of June.

The plane circled over the reef before landing and you could see heaps of boats out on the reef, so I thought this is going to be the trip. We walked from Clifton beach to Palm Cove and all was good gentle breeze nice looking water, walked up to a leading tackle store at Clifton beach and got some info for the next day.

Next morning wind was 15- 25 knots and it stayed that way for two weeks, so the trip out to the reef was called off. I fish off the wharf at Palm Cove had to bolt everything down due to the gentle breeze, I caught gold spot trevally,strippies (a northern pest fish),tropical toads(they are a nice gold colour) and the worlds smallest cobia.No fish was over 30 cm long the trevally weren't that long.

We drove up to Tinaroo Dam it was blowing a gale up there no barra but some nice photos.

I am not complaining I still got to fish I caught some new spieces fished in some great locations.

One day is one to remember, I was and am keen to catch a Jack so I was told of this spot close to Cairns so off I went Mud Herrings and all went down the bank and was instantly set apon by midgies, but I battled on cast over the other side of the river and my line was blown over a mangrove tree, no worries a quick shake of the rod and it broke a foot down from the tip,midgies still gnawing on me so I took the nessacary steps and left, after lunch went to spot two in Trinity a new canal estate found a good spot where the rock wall met the mangroves, has to be a spot for a Jack a cast here a cast there my wife was fishing with bait just watching my fleet foot work.

I did this wonderful cast parallel to the bank and I got snagged no worries it's only a metre from shore I will get it. Down I go and there is my lure caught in the fabric they line rock walls with , its as tough as old boots.Just ahead from my lure I notice a halco scorpion so I think while I am getting mine I will get another for free. I grabbed the lure and started pulling hoping to pull the hooks free I feel a hook against my thumb then I realise it not against my thumb it's in it. So here I am stuck onto the lure arm deep in a croc and shark infested canal, I called out to my understanding wife to bring me a knife,which she does its blunt so off she goes to get another one and my braid scissors,after a bit of grunting and sweating success then its back in to get my lure a few minutes later success.

So I then had to cut the lure free from my hand and I removed to points from the other hooks, then we went to Cairns Base hospital to get the hook removed from my thumb. Quick and easy when you know how the Doctor was a fisherman and had just returned from a trip up North.

He carries his own kit for removing hooks.

All in all a great trip a good holiday and yes I will return.

PS if requested I will show the photo of my hooked thumb LOL

Big Pete

post-74-1213779468_thumb.jpg

Bummer you didnt get out to the reef. Still good to catch some new species.

I think that may be a remora rather than a small cobia, they look very similar when small, we got a couple when we were up north last year.

Josh

Big Pete that was a fabulous post !! Good to see someone with such a dry sense of humour. Nice to see a northern doc with a hook removing kit, my doctors down here according to my experiences only carry eye popping tools and thumb removal kits. :D

Great reading mate :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Yeah c'mon Pete show us the damage! :074: What a top dotor to get! :thumbup:

Shame the weather didn't play ball. At least you got some fish & it's a great place to be this time of year all the same.

Just a quick ?. Are you sure that's a cobe or could it be a small remora? It's just that I've never seen a cobe that little before. :wacko:

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks everyone,

yes it was definately a cobia no sucker on its head, I have heard of big sharks caught off the wharf, possibly the week before or after I was there :biggrin2:

Here it is by popular demand the thumb

Big Pete

PS. the photo was taken on the phone camera in the waiting room of the hospital

post-74-1213876429_thumb.jpg

post-74-1213876470_thumb.jpg

Edited by Big-Pete