Patonga Creek Flatties

Ray R

:thumbup: Hi Raiders, just got back from a very pleasent arvo up the creek ay Patonga, I took my shoulder bag full of SP's and jig heads and my Berkley Pro Tactic and Shimano Stradic 2500and headed up the creek.

Started flicking (after 10 or so minutes walking) when I found a nice area of sandy hollows and some weedy bits, it didn't take long before the flatties attacked, they were only little fellas around the 35-40cm mark but still were good fun and a sense of achievment to find an area and come up with results. They were attacking Berkley Powerbaits , I used one called 'Galaxia' minnow, a greeny colour.

I ended up landing 6 and hooked another 3 that freed themselves, all the fish were returned as they were all but legal.

I was the only human around for miles the sounds of birds, fish jumping and the clicking of little crab nippers was all I could hear , It is really a serene spot. Enjoy the one handed flattie pics.

post-3371-1213858352_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1213858384_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1213858423_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1213858560_thumb.jpg

Good on ya, Ray. What a nice spot to spend a quiet time fishing.

You know, it never ceases to amaze me just how much natural beauty we have so close to the biggest city in Oz. How lucky are we, raiders.

Tuffy

I really love Patonga.

A friend of mone owns 3 properties over the creek all side by side. You had to get there by rowing over.I used to spend a fair bit of time up there.

Fantastic spot !!

Congrats on your flatties.

Good on ya, Ray. What a nice spot to spend a quiet time fishing.

You know, it never ceases to amaze me just how much natural beauty we have so close to the biggest city in Oz. How lucky are we, raiders.

Tuffy

Dead right Tuffy ..

Outfisher, don't know about the Jews, they may grow up there but I think they would be gone as they grew..

Wammo, never fished Gerroa but I have surfed there,

Nice spot to fish RayR and another good result on the flathead on sp's. :thumbup:

I tweeked when one of the younger members simply said in another topic "Casting and retreiving lures covers more ground" How good is that for a young bloke ay Ray, especially with flathead.

They used to get pretty big flathead in Patonga Creek towards the end of summer. It looks like there are a lot of smaller flathead nesting up in the creek right now. It might be interesting to see what size fish you can stir up covering the area around the creek mouth.

I can't remember but I think I've heard of jew being caught up there as well. We used to fish off the main jetty back in the days of the old council van park. It was not to my liking because of the wide stretch of water out from the jetty being on the shallow side but what got me back to the jetty was pulling a soapie when fishing for bream.

There was always talk of big jewfish caught off the jetty but we generally caught a lot of sting rays and some good size flathead. Fishing off the wharf in what I thought were reasonable days for that type of area, we generally finished up buying cooked up fish from the lady in the shop up there.

The last time we fished up there was when Americans were doing an old house up on the water by the shops for a movie they were doing. I remember the house was elaborately set up like a sailors cottage, but I don't know what the movie was or what become of it.

Cheers mate

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Dear Raymondo,

What you doing without me again... even when you are not in my boat you are still catching flatties, in the dead of winter none the less. See you tomorrow morning around 4.30pm we will go hunting.

Hutcho

Nice spot to fish RayR and another good result on the flathead on sp's. :thumbup:

I tweeked when one of the younger members simply said in another topic "Casting and retreiving lures covers more ground" How good is that for a young bloke ay Ray, especially with flathead.

They used to get pretty big flathead in Patonga Creek towards the end of summer. It looks like there are a lot of smaller flathead nesting up in the creek right now. It might be interesting to see what size fish you can stir up covering the area around the creek mouth.

I can't remember but I think I've heard of jew being caught up there as well. We used to fish off the main jetty back in the days of the old council van park. It was not to my liking because of the wide stretch of water out from the jetty being on the shallow side but what got me back to the jetty was pulling a soapie when fishing for bream.

There was always talk of big jewfish caught off the jetty but we generally caught a lot of sting rays and some good size flathead. Fishing off the wharf in what I thought were reasonable days for that type of area, we generally finished up buying cooked up fish from the lady in the shop up there.

The last time we fished up there was when Americans were doing an old house up on the water by the shops for a movie they were doing. I remember the house was elaborately set up like a sailors cottage, but I don't know what the movie was or what become of it.

Cheers mate

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hey Jewgaffer , it was called the 'Beast' and it was about a giant squid terrorising the community

Good old Patonga Creek! Can you believe the kids and I Fluked HUGE old man mud crab up there in Autumn, whilst wife jags a few mini tailor on one of those new disco coloured whiting poppers ($)

Then after feasting on fat oysters and ousted king muddies' sweet white camp-fired meat, I lose the battle with a textbook big flattie two minute run at the creekmouth at midnight!!! I had the old girl at my feet in the moonlight, her shape shining in the silvery night as she had one more headshake for freedom snapping 10lb sinking leader like glass! I tell you, (and it wasnt the Coopers) I could not stand for five minutes as the adrenalin shot through my system my legs were a blithering mess!!!! What a buzz