Stellas - 20000 Fa Vs Pg (new Model)

Le Pasha

I am looking to buy a Stella 20k for cubing for YFT, I know a couple of guys who love using threadlines for tuna and say its easy as! Plan to load with some 65lb or 80lb braid. What I wanted to know is what the difference is between then FA model Stella and the new SW20000PG Stella that has just been released recently. Is it worth the extra $$$ for the new model as you can pick up the FA model pretty cheap ATM.

I was tossing up between the Stella, Saltiga 6500 EXP, Accurate Twinspin 30 and a couple of yank exotics - Van Staal and ZeeBaas. Stella shone through as the winner....now its just which one is better value!

Daniel

I agree with Netic. The new ones are more solid, bigger drag capacity, stronger bail and the ARC line management (important for jigging I am told).

I bought one but it is still in the box.

The older models are good value though.. I picked up an 8000 for under $500.

I agree with Netic. The new ones are more solid, bigger drag capacity, stronger bail and the ARC line management (important for jigging I am told).

I bought one but it is still in the box.

The older models are good value though.. I picked up an 8000 for under $500.

I just picked up a 10000 FA for a little more - delivered yesterday.

Has anyone adapted the 20000 spool to the 10000FA? Doesnt seem like a good idea but playing with the reel last night it feels solid and the spool does seem a little small.......

There is an article going around in one of the latest fishing mags about why boys outnumber girls in recreational angling. The conclusion was that fishing is a sport that is permeated with cool toys and thats why the boys like it... Have to agree!

The Stella would be my pick for cubing tunas out of those.

I am one of Diawa's biggest fans but after the last few trips with the manual bail of the Saltiga's, its a bugger trying to flip it over with line pouring off it and with big drags some good line burns are going to happen with the braid.

The Van Staal' s would be even worse, how would you get line under the bail roller??? :wacko:

Just my thoughts

Greg

The Stella would be my pick for cubing tunas out of those.

I am one of Diawa's biggest fans but after the last few trips with the manual bail of the Saltiga's, its a bugger trying to flip it over with line pouring off it and with big drags some good line burns are going to happen with the braid.

The Van Staal' s would be even worse, how would you get line under the bail roller??? :wacko:

Just my thoughts

Greg

My new Stella SW20000PG has a manual bail. By that I mean that winding the handle won't flip the bail back to fighting position.

I can see how this woul dbe a disaster with line peeling off at a rate of knots and your digits in there trying to snap the bail over... I reckon it is only a matter of time before there is a finger in the burley trail. :(

Interesting topic im in the same boat! I have asked several dealers which should

i go stella 20000 or saltiga 6500 exp i got mixed replies but more leaned towards

saltiga some say stellas are a lot smoother real. A mate and i had chased marlin in feb this year

and the stella did it with ease.

I have never had a diawa reel in the past 20 years but i have had a few problems with

my sustain 8000; mainly corrosion problems.

Got a new spool and it started pitting after 6 trips and i always clean my gear after every trip

but i have to say it went well on the yft

and did it no problems but it has made me think twice about my decision.

I am still undecided?

My new Stella SW20000PG has a manual bail. By that I mean that winding the handle won't flip the bail back to fighting position.

I can see how this woul dbe a disaster with line peeling off at a rate of knots and your digits in there trying to snap the bail over... I reckon it is only a matter of time before there is a finger in the burley trail. :(

Ceph

The best way I found was when I had a take I would raise the rod tip high, lower it fast and that little bit of slack line that's created is enough to get the bail over.

The other way was to have a light drag set, when you get a run, flip the bail over then tighten up the drag. Using circle hooks, it's probably a good way to set the hook anyway. Only down side is how do you set a solid drag but not to much without a preset drag?

Just been lucky enough that there has been plenty of bites to work it out with......

Greg

Daniel,

I went down the whole path of all that and yes the new stella is the go. Super smart reel and it has accounted for a few rat kings so far and for which was a pleasure in doing so. I am considering getting a spare spool though to run mono on.

You wont be dissapointed. As nectic said the bearings in the spool are now sealed. It actually does not feel as smooth as the older mod but is much stronger apparantly. The gears are made of a stronger material this time round, not that i have heard of many of the older ones wearing out in a hurry.

I was over in Japan and got home last night. I spent half a day in a fishing shop in Osaka which i will post more on soon with pics.

They rated the new stella very highly over the older mod. They are jigging nutts over there.

good luck with your decision.

Edited by VA911

The 20000 is a bloody big reel gents..

I have a 10000XG on the way.. I reckon the smaller size wil lbe better .. for me anyway. It only has a few kgs less drag. I don't reckin I would know the difference. Who fishes 25 kgs of drag anyway..

Edited by Cephalopod

The 20000 is a bloody big reel gents..

I have a 10000XG on the way.. I reckon the smaller size wil lbe better .. for me anyway. It only has a few kgs less drag. I don't reckin I would know the difference. Who fishes 25 kgs of drag anyway..

Basically the only advantage of the bigger reel over the smaller ceph is the lower gear ratio. great for pulling things up from deeper water.

Also line capacity is much greater in the bigger reels so if you wanted to use it for tuna and beaks you could do so quite easily.

Basically the only advantage of the bigger reel over the smaller ceph is the lower gear ratio. great for pulling things up from deeper water.

Also line capacity is much greater in the bigger reels so if you wanted to use it for tuna and beaks you could do so quite easily.

Hi guys,

The new gear has Paladin treatment with additional treatment for a lower wear rate. It will feel a little tighter initially but will smooth up after further use. The pinion is Stainless Steel for even further strength.