Catching Jackets

damariboyz

Howdy all

Just wondering if the humble Leather Jacket is on the chew during night time around the wharfs or are they mainly a day time feeder. Never see a pic of a Jacket in the dark hours.

Nothin better than sittin on a wharf around 10.30pm middle of winter freezin my *#!+ off.

Any particular land based spot in Sydney seem to be better for Jackets than the rest.

Russ

howdy ,back when i had hair on my head after a jewfish sessions in the hacking we would putt home following the shorelines with the fluro light hanging over the side looking for cuttlefish and squid quite often you would see leatherjackets and they appear to be asleep or in a trance so much so you can scoop them up with a landing net,if you dont touch them and doit slowly you will scoop them up everytime,coincedently this is how we found out that numbfish Will GIVE YOU A ELECTRIC SHOCK

cheers arman

they are more of daytime feeder,i have found anyway,i was out last week fishing,as soon as it got late in the arvo they were no longer a pest to our baits.also when the water is clear it is more likely that they would be around,dirty water ,i havent had a problem with them during the day

you would see leatherjackets and they appear to be asleep or in a trance so much so you can scoop them up with a landing net,if you dont touch them and doit slowly you will scoop them up everytime

cheers arman

Wouldn't that be classed as "netting" and illegal?

Wouldn't that be classed as "netting" and illegal?

No because it is still deemed a landing net which is not illegal. You can use it how you wish. It would only be illegal if they were netting with drift nets, cast nets etc etc

No because it is still deemed a landing net which is not illegal. You can use it how you wish. It would only be illegal if they were netting with drift nets, cast nets etc etc

I only ask because I used to do a similar thing in the Hacking years ago, but we used the telescopic landing net and scooped up the blue swimmers.

A mate told me then that what we were doing was illegal so we stopped doing it.