Buying A Boat From Qld

achjimmy

As the title says I am looking at getting another boat, one of which is in QLD. I have researched a little and found they have a REVS listing like NSW but was wondering if there is any other traps in buying an interstate boat.

I think they still have different trailer registration system. You may have issues if the trailer is not a manufactured one with correct compliance plate on it and get an engineer.

Ask the RTA the question.

I think they still have different trailer registration system. You may have issues if the trailer is not a manufactured one with correct compliance plate on it and get an engineer.

Ask the RTA the question.

Thx Pel, what i am looking at has a dunbier trailer.

.......I am looking at getting another boat, one of which is in QLD. I have researched a little and was wondering if there is any other traps in buying an interstate boat.

Hi Jimmy. My last five boats have been Qld boats.

There are a lot of good boats for sale at bargain prices in Qld and in places like the Gold Coast where there is not much of a second hand market in between the large number of new boat boat buyers and the cheap tinny buyers, so a private sale of a mid to low upper market boat is a good way to buy well.

Small fishing villages further north have retirees coming and going and the further north of Brisbane you go the better the price. Bundaberg, because of the distance and the four hour drive for buyers from Brisbane, is a top place to buy a boat and they will discount heavily to sell their boat.

It would be wise to get a list of every boat that suits say from the central coast up to as far as Bundaberg and it's important to let the seller know in advance that you are NOT driving up there just for his particular boat.

The trap is make sure you change the boat and trailer over to NSW registration while you're up there !

Qld Registration is not considered at all in NSW. A Qld boat is treated as a new registration for both the boat and the trailer. You will have to weigh the trailer off the boat, whether the trailer is stamped by the maker or not and there is no way you can avoid that for the NSW RTA requirement.

Now here's what I would do - I call in to fish at Ballina on the way back from Qld anyway. I'd do the paperwork at the Maritime office at the far end of town and register the boat ((see Darren, he'll make the changeover easy and give you NSW boat numbers etc). Next take the trailer and boat to Ballina Marine in Endeavour Close and see the owner Ken for a loan of their lauching ramp.

The trailer will have to be fitted with a trailer model and weight plate etc at an accredited workshop which Ken can send you to. The trailer has to be weighed at the weighbridge which is just before you drive into Ballina airport and the trailer has to be weighed off the tow vehicle. Then you go to the RTA which is on the highway to Grafton only minutes from town.

Doing the transfer and the new registration up north saves you a real headache in having to do all that's required when you get back to Sydney.

A few days fishing in Ballina will sought out the boat. There's is also a good bloke who is a signwriter, efficient and cheap priced in Endeavour Close near North Creek Road close to the outdoor shop and a canvas maker in Endevour Close near the highway just up from Ballina Marine where you can have anything made off the boat while you go fishing.

Hope this helps

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Maybe Jewgaffer could go with you to assist?

Excellent first hand advise, and with all the contact names supplied. :thumbup:

Good chance to have the signwriter paint the boat Maroon colour. :tease:

:yahoo:GO QUEENSLAND :yahoo:

Edited by Mariner 31

Maybe Jewgaffer could go with you to assist?

Excellent first hand advise, and with all the contact names supplied. :thumbup:

Good chance to have the signwriter paint the boat Maroon colour. :tease:

:yahoo: What a great idea Marina. I do have time at the moment :yahoo: and usually go up to Ballina and the Gold Coast at this time of year anyway.

Jimmy if you can get a week off whatever you're doing I'll go up north very smartly to make a bird of you getting the right boat at the right price. I'm all for going as far as Bundaberg if necessary.

I've got good references as an easy going travel and fishing mate that's for sure :thumbup: I have been staying with the same people up north for years and I'm sure you being a gold member that you're not going to give me a headache, that's for sure.

It's a good chance to also get some jew fishing in at Ballina and set up the boat they way you want it while you're up there rather than mucking around with add ons etc back down here in Sydney.

I'd love to get out in the Richmond at Ballina and show you first hand what the jew and bull sharks are like in the river and not far from town, now that the bull mullet have come in. You'll like the boys I fish with and I'll bet you will always go back and fish Ballina.

Let's know what you're doing because it's not a problem for me to find out what's available and make a list of the particular type of boat you are after, after all buying a boat is all about buying well.

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

:yahoo: What a great idea Marina. I do have time at the moment :yahoo: and usually go up to Ballina and the Gold Coast at this time of year anyway.

Jimmy if you can get a week off whatever you're doing I'll go up north very smartly to make a bird of you getting the right boat at the right price. I'm all for going as far as Bundaberg if necessary.

I've got good references as an easy going travel and fishing mate that's for sure :thumbup: I have been staying with the same people up north for years and I'm sure you being a gold member that you're not going to give me a headache, that's for sure.

It's a good chance to also get some jew fishing in at Ballina and set up the boat they way you want it while you're up there rather than mucking around with add ons etc back down here in Sydney.

I'd love to get out in the Richmond at Ballina and show you first hand what the jew and bull sharks are like in the river and not far from town, now that the bull mullet have come in. You'll like the boys I fish with and I'll bet you will always go back and fish Ballina.

Let's know what you're doing because it's not a problem for me to find out what's available and make a list of the particular type of boat you are after, after all buying a boat is all about buying well.

Cheers

Mate what an offer, dont think my schedule is going to give me much time at present :1badmood: I will send you a PM.