Anyone Caught Any Dory Yet?

slinkymalinky

I was wondering the exact same thing last week! the water has really only just started to cool and it has been a bit dirty with all the rain so im thinking they may be a couple of weeks away... last season was pretty slow so i hope that they are better this year! iv had a goal for the last couple of years to get one on an sp, i think they are a definate possibility just no one has really put in the work yet...

iv had a goal for the last couple of years to get one on an sp, i think they are a definate possibility just no one has really put in the work yet...

Last year fishing North Harbour for bream I had one chase up a Bass Minnow, so they will take it!

Maybe rig a Pogy or similar on a very light jighead, this way it will woft around because I can't see them swimming down a fast moving lure. They seem to be more of a ambush hunter than a chaser.

Good luck in your quest!

G

Hmmmm... sounds like a challenge. Might be worth twitching around an unweighted (or almost unweighted) plastic while waiting for hits on the livie. I think you're right Greg.... sloooow could be the key. Might try with some 5" Jerk Shads or 4" Pogys... perhaps a big squidgy wriggler so theres plenty of tail movement with minimal speed??? Race you to the first one dicko....

Cheers, Slinky

I have caught them before in MH on live yakkas but not for about 3 years.

Fished last year almost thru winter and had yakkas out for jews but not one dory taker.

Last few trips had yakkas out for nothing and caught jews and flatties on bait over the yakkas presented almost alongside.

Dory is certainly top table fare.

Mike

Let's go Zen... If it's not breaking a forum rule about wagering I'm willing to put a packet of gulps on it. Winner take all (I figure Gulps are easy to mail if I lose!).

Hey Throw me a fish.... they fight amazingly like a wet sock. It's like pulling up a clump of kelp with a heart beat but as GregL said, when they taste that good who cares?

Cheers, Slinky

Just picked up some 6" Gulp Grubs and 140mm Squidgy Wrigglers from Go Fish... I'm getting serious now!!

Cheers, Slinky

Have you got all the chicken varieties yet..???? Do you actually target Dory or are they a bi-catch...

i've heard that they taste great to and have been out a few time's hoping to get 1 or 2 but nothing.

does anyone know do they actually taste great at all?

reason i asked the above question is because about 2 year's ago i was at Port Stephens and all though i am not greedy and not saying other people are either, i would really like and i would love just to catch 1 big 20kg Bull Dolphin Fish but i got one about 3kg.

i kept it as it was dinner that night, and i heard that Dolphin Fish taste unreal as i was yet to eat one, blah, blah, blah.

so hear i was with expectation's not really high but expecting it to be awesome, come dinner time i ate a bit and honestly nothing like i thought it would be, it honestly just tasted like fish, fish is fish to me to a degree cause i know i have eaten and had fresh fish which i mainly and mostly like which i am sure other's do as well ( meaning you have gone out caught some dinner, and eaten it that night it was caught).

2 fish i have had and which tasted how i was expecting them both with the taste, flavour, e.t.c was a nice snapper estimated about 2kg, that was unreal, and a nice cobia at 20kg which was bloody unreal, awesome eating.

now Cobia is one of my favourite eating fish and it would be there no doubt in my mind in my top 5 favourite eating fish. and I am hoping that i will get a nice 20kg Cobia off the rocks next year as my first good catch when the LBG season kick's off again next year cause it will be kept for the table.

so i am not sure if John Dory taste's like it sound's, or as i said above, and i admit i may or could be wrong which i am not affraid of saying, but it would not surprise me at all if a John Dory just tasted like normal plain fish.

Edited by Scon

i've heard that they taste great to and have been out a few time's hoping to get 1 or 2 but nothing.

does anyone know do they actually taste great at all?

reason i asked the above question is because about 2 year's ago i was at Port Stephens and all though i am not greedy and not saying other people are either, i would really like and i would love just to catch 1 big 20kg Bull Dolphin Fish but i got one about 3kg.

i kept it as it was dinner that night, and i heard that Dolphin Fish taste unreal as i was yet to eat one, blah, blah, blah.

so hear i was with expectation's not really high but expecting it to be awesome, come dinner time i ate a bit and honestly nothing like i thought it would be, it honestly just tasted like fish, fish is fish to me to a degree cause i know i have eaten and had fresh fish which i mainly and mostly like which i am sure other's do as well ( meaning you have gone out caught some dinner, and eaten it that night it was caught).

2 fish i have had and which tasted how i was expecting them both with the taste, flavour, e.t.c was a nice snapper estimated about 3kg, that was unreal, and a nice cobia at 20kg which was bloody unreal, awesome eating.

now Cobia is one of my favourite eating fish and it would be there no doubt in my mind in my top 5 favourite eating fish. and I am hoping that i will get a nice 20kg Cobia off the rocks next year as my first good catch when the LBG season kick's off again next year cause it will be kept for the table.

so i am not sure if John Dory taste's like it sound's, or as i said above, and i admit i may or could be wrong which i am not affraid of saying, but it would not surprise me at all if a John Dory just tasted like normal plain fish.

You can come fishing with me then, You can take all the butchers diks and sweep home, I'll have the dorys, flatties and pig fish :thumbup:

You can come fishing with me then, You can take all the butchers diks and sweep home, I'll have the dorys, flatties and pig fish :thumbup:

got one the other week on live yakka near rose bay not much size but a start

To any doubters,

John Dory is an awesome tasting fish IMO.

I have only ever had the pleasure in a restaurant and am equally keen to get one in the boat.

To you previously successfull Dory catchers I have a few queries:

I have heard that small live yakkas are the go for bait, but are they a common by-catch for the winter night time jew fisho on heavy gear?

I have read that they hang around jetties, moorings and reef, so I would assume most jew grounds are also Dory possibilities? and what about broken reef like at Pickering point for example.

Water depth?

I'm out for a low tide Jew on Saturday and I would be pretty happy with a Dory as well, so if I discover anything, I'll put it up.

Cheers raiders.

Dave

Oh my god what have i started slinky!! haha!! i dont think they will be that hard on placcies to be honest, they eat small, slow bait fish... the problem will be more in finding them in good numbers..

To answer some questions: small yakkas and other reef species are the go, and bait MUST be fished live. i have not heard of to many getting caught at night, more of a day time, especially dawn option. Yes jewie holes will be good, but as long as they are not to far upstream. Dory like clean, deep water with plenty of bait. Iv heard of them caught in bantry bay but that would be the cut off, and only after an extended period of no rain.

During winter i actually target dory, but then get alot of bycatch as a result on livies, these inc tailor, sharks, kings, jew (not for me though!) and flatties.

Zenman - yeah jump in mate! im still keen on a jewie sesh in the next few weeks if you are still interested...

i'll pass on the butchers diks and sweep i would not keep either of them to take home mate, :thumbup::thumbup: ,