What Size Boat To Launch On Own?

flea

Looking to upgrade the tinnie to something more family friendly - but still with fishing firmly in mind. Seeing as though I'll be the one using it mostly - I was wondering what size boat is too large when it comes to being able to launch and importantly retrieve on your own? I mostly fish Pittwater/Harbour but would like the option of heading outside when conditions are kind. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I launch a 5.4m boat on my own easily and regularly see people in bigger boats do it as well..

It is not the size that is an issue, you need to work out a procedure that works and stick to it.

Do it the first couple of times on quiet mid week days and you will get your confidence up :)

Robbie.

I launch a 5.4m boat on my own easily and regularly see people in bigger boats do it as well..

It is not the size that is an issue, you need to work out a procedure that works and stick to it.

Do it the first couple of times on quiet mid week days and you will get your confidence up :)

Robbie.

:dito: for me. Mine is a 4.9 aluminium twin hull style. Launching & retreiving by my self is not a problem.

Perhaps the question should be , not the length but the boat style & trailer set up , ie , is the trailer designed (roller set up etc ) to make self launching easy.

Perhaps an hour or two spent at a busy ramp watching the activities will give you a good insite into what works & what does not

Geoff

I was in exactly the same position when I bought my boat (8 years ago). Sure as others say it can be possible and usually quite easy to launch/retreive quite a large and heavy boat by yourself - when conditions are good. And thats the issue. Unless you are using a fully sheltered ramp up middle harbour there will be times when you come back after the southerly has hit and you have to manage with a 20kt cross wind on the ramp, if its late at night your on your own.

For this reason as well as the fact that larger boats need bigger motors, use more fuel, have more windage and are not as well suited to light estury situations - I chose a 4.75m (waterline 5m) Quintrex 1/2 cabin with a 70hp 2 stroke Yamaha.

I fish solo 80% of the time and 80% of the time in Brisbane Water / Hawksburry systems and find this boat isnt perfect for anything in particular but is very good for most things. Its a little on the large side for soft plastics around the racks and a little small to go out wide unless the conditions are good but it does both OK. To be honest I like the fact it is on the smaller size as everything is within reach in the cockpit and I have good shelter from the elements not matter where I am.

I have just started to launch my 4.5m Quintex by my self.

Use ramp out of the wind if possible & have someone stand by at your first try.

Follow proceedure & take your time.

Practice makes perfect.

thanks for the tips. I have been launching my 4.55m tinnie at the ramp for around 7yrs with no problems on my own, so I am not a newbie to the ramp. I just wanted to get an idea of what size boats people comfortably retrieve on their own. I am looking at the 1600 Mustang tournament which looks like a good boat for the money but with the boat show looming I don't want to get talked into a boat that I can't handle.

Thanks for your comments everyone

Flea

mate i think it all comes down to the qaulity of the ramp and a jetty that you can tie up to

my boats 5.8mtrs

when i fish with my son i drive the boat on just like normal ,leave it in gear ,climp out the hatch ,hook up the strap and chain ,back through the hatch ,takes only a minute or so ,if you have a decent drive on trailer and you can get in and out easy woudnt matter if your boat was 8metres

although ive gota tell you if you had to winch on mine would be a pain in the ar se with any sort of cross wind ,so i prefer to drive on and its heaps quicker

cheers arman

Looking to upgrade the tinnie to something more family friendly - but still with fishing firmly in mind. Seeing as though I'll be the one using it mostly - I was wondering what size boat is too large when it comes to being able to launch and importantly retrieve on your own? I mostly fish Pittwater/Harbour but would like the option of heading outside when conditions are kind. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Flea, my good mate Hutcho has 5m Quintrex Coast Runner and he launches this by himself with no probs. The ramp he mainly uses has a great little tie off pontoon , this is a very handy thing to look for when choosing a solo launch ramp. As the other raiders have mentioned , your trailer and its condition plays a big part in solo launching.

I would go 5m as this size of boat will get you out to the reefs as well estuary.. Good luck in vessel search..

I have a 5.2m alloy boat and have been launching it by myself with not many dramas. I had not owned a boat for 10 years before this one and my last was only small so is was very worried about loading unloading the boat myself. I had a few dramas at the start but have it sorted now

I was out yesterday in the wind and was a bit worried about loading the boat by myself i got it on ok but had to go in the water. It was blowing a gale and the tide was moving pretty fast so i reckon it could not get much worse then it was yesterday for loading the boat.

I only use ramps with sand on the side as this makes it so much easier when by yourself

one l;ittle tip get some sort of locking clip for the winch strap that way if something goes astray the boat is still attached to the trailer :)

seen afew boats go floating away when that silly s hook falls out

Mate, once you get your routine worked out everything usually goes pretty smooth no matter what size boat you are launching. I now have a 5.5m Ally Craft and although havnt had to launch solo yet, I know it wont be a problem to do. Also from my experience people are only too willing to help out if they are waiting to use the ramp and see somebody alone loading their boat on or off the trailer. Its usually the people that dont consider others when using ramps that get people offside, like parking on the ramp THEN loading the boat and undoing straps etc.

It's all about confidence.

Thanks fellas - looks like I'll pay much more attention to the trailer - drive on sounds like the way to go. I mainly launch at Pittwater where previously I've just driven up onto the sand but there is the option of a pontoon too if needed. Anybody own a 1600 tournament? They are a nice looking boat of around the right size (5m) but I'm not sure how stable they are. Any suggestions?

Cheers Flea