False Spawners When To Go

I been hearing a lot about the false spawners at TCD and how I goota get some of the action.

The only problem no one seems to know when the right time and conditions are to go have a flick.

I have been to TCD about 8 times now and have scored zip.

Any insight fellow petrol burners.

cheers

What have you heard about the false spawners? I wouldn't bother, they are frustrating and near impossible to catch (in my experience of course) You used to be able to see them when the lake was higher, pairing off and trying to build a redd but with the low lake levels I dunno if there are any gravel beds worth looking at?

I remember spending a whole afternoon a few years ago casting at paired Browns without even a look, very annoying.

But, if you wanna try the general rule to Trout spawning times are:

Browns, early to mid winter and Rainbows late winter. Rain and snow (or lack of) are the main things that change this. Fresh rain and snow will trigger the fish to move into rivers but in TCD that means just a bunch of frustrated fish.

Personally I think you are better of concentrating on pre-spawn Rainbows now (they are really on the go in the Snowies). They like to hang around the spawning fish looking for roe to eat, maybe some orange plastics perhaps?

Cheers

Windy

What have you heard about the false spawners? I wouldn't bother, they are frustrating and near impossible to catch (in my experience of course) You used to be able to see them when the lake was higher, pairing off and trying to build a redd but with the low lake levels I dunno if there are any gravel beds worth looking at?

I remember spending a whole afternoon a few years ago casting at paired Browns without even a look, very annoying.

But, if you wanna try the general rule to Trout spawning times are:

Browns, early to mid winter and Rainbows late winter. Rain and snow (or lack of) are the main things that change this. Fresh rain and snow will trigger the fish to move into rivers but in TCD that means just a bunch of frustrated fish.

Personally I think you are better of concentrating on pre-spawn Rainbows now (they are really on the go in the Snowies). They like to hang around the spawning fish looking for roe to eat, maybe some orange plastics perhaps?

Cheers

Windy

Your right Matt

I hear about the good old days when the water was high, I also hear of packs of cruiser that can be spotted from up high.

the snowies would be nice however the price of gas is a major deterant these days not to mention the time to get down and back for a quick flick.

cheers Jamie

i have had similiar experiences,there just to focused on the thing in hand to bother with anything you present to them.i think you could spend hours if not days tryin.its really frustrating,but hey you could be doin worse things(like workin).not all fish spawn at once so forget them dummy spawners and chase the others.daz

Your right Matt

I hear about the good old days when the water was high, I also hear of packs of cruiser that can be spotted from up high.

the snowies would be nice however the price of gas is a major deterant these days not to mention the time to get down and back for a quick flick.

cheers Jamie

I havent seen the packs of Rainbows myself at TCD but have heard stories about them when the lake was at capacity. Now that would be a site, a pack of Rainbows tearing into a Gudgeon School!

I know what you mean about the petrol, I just got back from another hit at Tantangara and petrol near emptied out the wallet. Lucky the fishing was good!

Cheers

Windy

I havent seen the packs of Rainbows myself at TCD but have heard stories about them when the lake was at capacity. Now that would be a site, a pack of Rainbows tearing into a Gudgeon School!

I know what you mean about the petrol, I just got back from another hit at Tantangara and petrol near emptied out the wallet. Lucky the fishing was good!

Cheers

Windy

:mad3: petrol

a friend and i witnessed the gudgeon boxing on dusk one arvo and it was a sight to remember,the water in a 10 metre radius was like boiling water (it was more like a school of tuna than trout)it only lasted couple minutes and we where lucky enough for it to be right in front of us,awsome sight,it happened on the dam wall and only 1 fish was pulled out of the carnage.

It used to be a regular occurence at Thommo's where the trout would bust the surface like a school of tailor. More then not it was the noise of the bust up that drew your attention to them if they werent in your line of sight. I dont think we will see the big marauding schools again any time soon, in those days the water was only a few meters from the top of the dam, so they had a lot more room to play.

The false spawners you mention where very common at TCD during the first few years of this decade. Schools of 10 or more fish were a common sight. This has certainly been a lot less common site in recent years. I believe this is more a result of fluctuating water levels than the actual water level. Two years ago, one weekend I found a group 10+ of false spawners only to come back a week later and find that area where i had seen them high and dry.

As for what time to go, if its going to happen then September will be the month. Again when the dam was higher the false spawners seemed to stay in the shallows for much longer, back in 2000 there was still the odd pair of fish around into November.

A few people have mentioned how frustrating these false spawners can be to catch, and anyone tossing lures at them are in for a very tough time. The fly casters tend to have the most success on these false spawners but even they need to have a lot of patience. I often say to people that you are often better at TCD trying to catch the fish you can not see than the ones you can see. However, all the rules are broken when the rough weather rolls in. If the water becomes muddy or cloudy where the false spawners are, suddenly the become willing to grab just about anything. I've had consistent success in these conditions using Baltic Minnows, any minnow type lure like a rapala CD5 and in recent years its all been about soft plastics.

The false spawners you mention where very common at TCD during the first few years of this decade. Schools of 10 or more fish were a common sight. This has certainly been a lot less common site in recent years. I believe this is more a result of fluctuating water levels than the actual water level. Two years ago, one weekend I found a group 10+ of false spawners only to come back a week later and find that area where i had seen them high and dry.

As for what time to go, if its going to happen then September will be the month. Again when the dam was higher the false spawners seemed to stay in the shallows for much longer, back in 2000 there was still the odd pair of fish around into November.

A few people have mentioned how frustrating these false spawners can be to catch, and anyone tossing lures at them are in for a very tough time. The fly casters tend to have the most success on these false spawners but even they need to have a lot of patience. I often say to people that you are often better at TCD trying to catch the fish you can not see than the ones you can see. However, all the rules are broken when the rough weather rolls in. If the water becomes muddy or cloudy where the false spawners are, suddenly the become willing to grab just about anything. I've had consistent success in these conditions using Baltic Minnows, any minnow type lure like a rapala CD5 and in recent years its all been about soft plastics.

great info mattyjs. thanks mate. all this info is helpin us all greatly :beersmile:

Hey Mate,

I have had a crack at these fish in the past around september and these were big rainbows, basically they were schooled up chasing each other around. after getting over the sight of these fish and having MANY casts with the fly gear it was soon apparent that they were far to preoccupied with trying to spawn than eating. However with that in mind a large rainbow trout lure such as a rapala or xrap might draw a agressive strike.

just think of salmon tactics and you are probably in with a chance.

you basically have to annoy the fish into a reaction strike

cheers

kael