Rigging Hardy-heads For Hairtail

the1murph

Hey guys finally managed to catch hardy-heads quickly and easily today for use on hairtail..... I was wondering the best way to rig them? You wouldnt put them on ganged hooks would you? what sort of hook would be small enough for a hardy-head but still big enough for a hungry hairtail?

Thanks

Jack

What's a hardy head? how big are they?

i'm wondering if they're the bait schools that showed up where my yakkas would normally be?

If they're the ones i'm thinking.. how do you catch them? no hook small enough I imagine? bait traps?

mate you can get alot of them up the end of jurueselam bay right on dusk must berley up and use no12 hook. to rig them never done it myself but would imagine a 1/0 would be plenty big enough. maybe just pierced though the back. any regular hairtail fishos would probaly be able to confirm?????

What's a hardy head? how big are they?

i'm wondering if they're the bait schools that showed up where my yakkas would normally be?

If they're the ones i'm thinking.. how do you catch them? no hook small enough I imagine? bait traps?

mate you can usually find them around wharfs and structure i just used a metal lure with a treble and jig it through the school... i got like one every jig

It's no so much the size of the hook for the fish but rather does the hook size suit the bait, if you consider that most hardy heads are no bigger then 15 cm's and are a thin profile bait fish 1/0 should be ample and 3/0 would be the absolute tops.

Also bear in mind hardheads are some what fragile, and it's best to hook them through the mouth.