Rigging Pilchards

trungie

Ive been using gangs but want to give the stealth of single a go.

How can i rig a pilchard with a single hook? Thinking of going out tonight, so any advise appreciated!

depends really if im using a whole pilly on a single hook(dont do that very often) then i just put the hook though the tail with a half hitch. my preferred way is to cut the pillie up eg. cut it so i am just using the tail section and use the pilly section by section.

There's lots of ways depending on what you're doing with the Pillie but 4 possibles are:

1. Rig the pillie 'head down'... pass the hook & line (suicide pattern works well) right through the body about 1/2 way along its length; then insert the hook point again just behind the head and bring it out through the side of the gills. Secure the tail of the pillie with 1 or 2 half hitches.

This is good for fish that eat their prey head first (not tailor)

2. Rig the pillie thru the nose.... just pass a straight shank hook up through the nose of a pillie from underneath (as if it were a live bait). This will let you 'spin' with a pillie but you need to let any fish that takes it have slack to get it down before striking.

3. 'cube' rigging... Like one of the ways of rigging a pillie in a cube trail, pass a hook through the mouth of the pillie and out through the gills... then pull it right through with some line. Then pass the point of the hook back in through the gills but back out through the stomach of the Pillie as far back as you can. Pull the slack line back out of the mouth of the Pillie. This should leave the hook completely hidden inside the pillie except for the point.

If you try retrieving the pillie like this the mouth will open and the bait will get wrecked. You can tie it up with bait mate (elastic thread) or even fuse wire.

4. 'stitching' a pillie.... pass the hook right through the nose of the pillie from side to side 3 times in the same spot. Wind the line around the body of the Pillie and then pass the hook through the bait about half way along its body. wind around again and repeat near the tail. The loops through the nose will help hold the bait and prevent it bunching on the hook ( I actually tie it as a half hitch for more security). the hook ends up in the tail, and the line winding around the body helps keeps the pillie straight(ish).

Cheers, Slinky

there is an article on rigging a gar or bolahoo as the yanks call then in game fishing section there are a few links with vidio or step by step instrutions

i found this very helpfull as if you get it right the garfish looks like it is swimming

this should work for any fish bait i found the dental floss the go

you can rig your bait before and freeze it ready for the next outing

look under swimming garfish

gary

there is an article on rigging a gar or bolahoo as the yanks call then in game fishing section there are a few links with vidio or step by step instrutions

Hey brickman, couldnt find the link, could you kindly post? :D