Separating Stuck Ferrules

slinkymalinky

Just thought I'd let anyone know who's interested a great way I've road tested for separating a stuck ferrule. I had my older T-Curve jig rod solidly stuck (after leaving it assembled for the whole summer/autumn and tried everything to separate the 2 halves.... hands behind the knees, rubber gloves for better grip, WD40... nothing worked.

Last night I crushed some ice, folded it in a damp tea towel and wrapped it around the 'male' part of the ferrule (or the rod just above it at least). I left it for about 15 minutes to really chill the blank... and hey presto, the 2 halves came apart easily.

I've now put some graphite powder on the ferrule and won't be keeping it assembled with the ferrule joined hard anymore.

Cheers, Slinky

Thats a very good idea mate. I had the same problem. I put a very old, unused reel I had lying around onto the rod. I then hit the foot of the reel againts a rail a few times while holding onto the top section of rod. It came off pretty easy but I like your idea too.

I then very lightly sanded the male ferrule with 1000 paper.

• 2 weeks later...

......Will try it on my Black Queen when I get home!......

Hey Hodgey, I thought mine was the only one that wouldn't break down!! Then again, I only paid $5 for it, so what can I expect??? :074: Mind you, it probably hasn't been apart since the day it was put together ..... 40+ years ago! (it has the original agate runners & some damage to the ferrules shows where someone else has had a serious effort at getting it apart!)

I will try the ice trick ..... first freeze the ice ..... not much room left in the freezer after all the fish fillets in there! :074: I jest, of course - mainly full of meat!!! :) YUM!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hey Roberta & Hodgey,

Let me know how you go with it. With the metal ferrule of a black queen, corrosion is likely to be a real problem... the 2 parts may be virtually 'welded' together. Not sure what you could use to cut through the corrosion... maybe soak it in CLR or something??

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Slinky

I reckon I'll probably just leave mine - the damage shown proves just how stuck it is ..... I tried the old CRC & WD40 & Inox .... none of which worked :( It doesn't annoy me too much, as it is not a long rod (shorter than the modern Black Queen.)

As you say, I reckon mine is well & truly 'welded'!! :( Doesn't stop it from catching fish tho :)

Cheeiro

ROberta