Refit Bertram 25

gazza

hello to all members..i am a new member wondering if anyone out there has refitted a berti 25...i am taking 2 165 mercs & seriously thinking of putting in 1 diesel..hav concerns about stability & wat size moter to put in can anyone offer advice..or is there anyone out there gone from twin screw to a single in a 25..rgds gazza

yeah thanks ross...i really want to get get rid off these mercs & go diesel.. but they r expensive talking to a few mechanics ...there saying 1 diesel..look frwd to more input..rgds gazza

Hi gary,

I'm just going through a similar process on my Mariner 31. I got prices on new Caterpillars c/w boxes but they were AUD$37,000.00 each - ouch!

Also the lead time was 5 months from the States but we are talking serious horses of around 300Hp each.

I have decided to stay with the Turbocharged, aftercooled Volvos and replace all the external parts; water pump, alternator, etc.

I have an excellent marine engineer who's acomplishments have been publicised in modern boating.

PM me if you would like more info or you can PM him directly.

I think his Fishraider handle is BM Nic

Hi Gary,

I had a 25 bertie with a single mercruiser. Never had any issues with stability at all. She was a full lock up model and ony had flybridge helm so was up top quite a bit.

The engine was a 230hp and she did approx 23kn at full speed. got up on the plane quite easily. I think with the removal of weight from the back you will rely more heavily on the trim tabs and I found that I needed to adjust them every so often.

Good luck Sunnyboy1

Have driven many 23-25's fitted with Penta diesel 200 (adaq40's) through to the latter 230-250hp's and they are an excellent combination Sunnyboy, good economy and awesome performance (from memory around 25knots cruise and 35knots WOT). Obviously some manouverablilty is lost with the single but it is still more than adequate.

Geoff