Tuna Fishing

Hello raiders,

I want to start getting my own gear together to take up some of these tuna fishing offers that have been passed around. I would appreciate any advice anyone is able to give me on,

- Fishing reels (I have a TLD 20 and 25 spooled with 65lb Braid, would this stand up to Tuna?)

- Hooks

- Line Class

- Lures

- Trace/Leeder

Any PM's or comments are appreciated.

Cheers

Hey mate,

Reels - your braid is ok, but on a TLD25 you can load 600 or so metres of 15kg and fish it comfortably for yellowfin. If you're starting out I wouldn't advise fishing 10kg on the TLD20, see if you can pick up another TLD25 or better yet a TLD 30 2 sp.

Hooks - I use Gama Live Baits, usually size 6/0-7/0, always hook up with these without fail. Also consider the Eagle Claw L2004EL circles and the Owner SSW Inlines, have used both and they work well.

Line Class - Stick to 15 and 24kg mono if you are starting out. Dont know if it makes a difference but I stay away from fluoro lines, try momoi or Ande.

Lures - Stick to small skirts with a mix of bibbed and bibless lures. Have done well with with XRAP30's in SBM especially, as well as Yo Zuri Bonitas (harder to find) and Killer Vib's. Laser Pro's are good also. Try not to go bigger than 8'' or 9'' for Yellowfin. Have caught fish on Pakula Cocky's, Uzis and Fluzis, Hollowpoint tuna terrors, and Zuker feathers work really well. Try jet heads as well they always work. Set your spread a bit further back though. Dont worry too much about lures, you'll catch most fish cubing anyway

Trace - Have a few ready, I usually fish 80lb Ande Pink but have leaders as light as 50lb and as heavy as 150lb.

Is it better to fish with braid or mono?

Hi Kiwi Dan...

What Daniel has previously mentioned is all good advice...

and i would tell you most definently use mono over the braid.....for a number of reasons and

with braid been refered to as often as it has been of late i understand why you would ask...

using braid instead of mono will not give you any greater advantage in being able to catch the

y/fin that you will be targeting...it may however save you from some nasty line burn (cut) that braid

can inflict in the heat of battle.....not saying you but i cringe when i hear of some one just starting out who

hasn't had much experiance...... on the cube stripping back with braid....that line is capable of coming tight in

your hands in milliseconds......... and a fish that is more than capable of tearing a couple of hundred odd

mtrs of line from your reel against 8 kg of drag pressure would have little disregard if that braid so

happened to be accidently wrapped around some one's hand.....

start with mono at least and get a few under your belt first then take it from there...

Cheers Warnie.....

Hi Kiwi Dan...

What Daniel has previously mentioned is all good advice...

and i would tell you most definently use mono over the braid.....for a number of reasons and

with braid been refered to as often as it has been of late i understand why you would ask...

using braid instead of mono will not give you any greater advantage in being able to catch the

y/fin that you will be targeting...it may however save you from some nasty line burn (cut) that braid

can inflict in the heat of battle.....not saying you but i cringe when i hear of some one just starting out who

hasn't had much experiance...... on the cube stripping back with braid....that line is capable of coming tight in

your hands in milliseconds......... and a fish that is more than capable of tearing a couple of hundred odd

mtrs of line from your reel against 8 kg of drag pressure would have little disregard if that braid so

happened to be accidently wrapped around some one's hand.....

start with mono at least and get a few under your belt first then take it from there...

Cheers Warnie.....

Thanks Warnie, top advice mate. Think ill treat myself to a new rod and reel loaded with mono.

Edited by Kiwi Dan