Hairtail And Dory.

flatty hunter626

has anyone been out after hairtail this week??? heading out for a few hours sat night and an all nighter on wednesday....that brings me to my next topic.......anyone got any tips for john dory in pittwate heading out after them for the first time after the allnighter......locations and such planing on getting sum live yakkas for bait.

cheers

flatty hunter

Edited by flatty hunter626

Hi Flatty Hunter,

For yakkas you can get them at West or Barrenjoey Head without to much hassle. For the Dory you then want to find a spot that has a deepish hole or around reef/structure that would attract them to the area. Before you send the yakka down though, trim the tail fins back just a little bit so that it doesn't kill the yakka but rather slow him down making him easier prey for a slow moving fish like the john dory.

Another trick is to sent your rig down to the bottom (baitless) set at the depth you want and then retrieve the line by hand, pin the yakka and drop it back over the side. This way you know you're bait will be at the right depth and the yakka won't trick you depthwise on the way down.

Cheers

Josh

Hi Flatty Hunter,

For yakkas you can get them at West or Barrenjoey Head without to much hassle. For the Dory you then want to find a spot that has a deepish hole or around reef/structure that would attract them to the area. Before you send the yakka down though, trim the tail fins back just a little bit so that it doesn't kill the yakka but rather slow him down making him easier prey for a slow moving fish like the john dory.

Another trick is to sent your rig down to the bottom (baitless) set at the depth you want and then retrieve the line by hand, pin the yakka and drop it back over the side. This way you know you're bait will be at the right depth and the yakka won't trick you depthwise on the way down.

Cheers

Josh

I have heard that before when fishing for John Dory, trim the fins.

is it just basically trimming the tail and do you trim both top and bottom?

cause i am not sure.

how much of the fins do you trim off the yakka, do you just a little bit, or take a few mili metre off?

hi scon,

trimming the tails is to stop them escaping from the slow moving dory...

they hunt in a slow stalking manner then when in striking distance there mouth extends enormously and as quick as a flash.. ive had them swallow yakkas nearly as long as them,go figure....

trim both top/bottom the same and the extra vibrations will alert the predators to a free feed :biggrin2: ..

cheers...steve.....

...cant wait never targeted dory before and neither has my mate so were eagerto giv them a go.........got any pointers on where u can find some of these wrecks??? as i hav only headed into pitwater a few times and none of them i had my sounder for as i hav only just set it up !...... any hints???;) lol

cheers flatty hunter