Blade Advice

Langa

Went for a quick session on Thursday in the howling wind, couldnt cast my usual plastics in the conditions so I decided to give the new blade lures I bought a go. 3 casts in and I've lost the first one to oysters, so I am a bit more cautious with the next one. I used a retrieve like a speeded up plastic retrieve, a couple of jerks then a slight pause. I noticed the blades give a very satisfying vibration which varies depending on which hole the leader is connected to and the speed of the retrieve. I didn't get a touch using them and I am wondering if I am using the right retrieve or should I be retrieving with a steady wind to keep a constant vibration going. Any comments on preferred retrieves would be greatly apreciated. Also has anyone used these blades at night with success?

Thanks, Langa

Gday Langa, blades are a very versatile lure and can be used many different ways. I was sceptical at first and was reluctant to fork out the big dollars for them. This was a mistake as they do catch fish, lots of fish. I feel most confident using them in deepish water with or without current and use either a long slowish single lift or a qicker double hop. If there are active fish nearby they will come and have a look at what has made that strong vibration you mentioned. There strong points are how well they cast and how quickly they get to the bottom, use this to your advantage and you will soon be catching fish and not just bream, monster flattie whiting and blackfish are regular bycatch. Cheers Dave