Smokey Engine

groperman

Gday guys, i havent started my engine for coupler weeks. Gave it a good flush over the weekend and when i revved abit high abit of smoke(looked like burnt oil) came out of the exhust and prop from the outboard. But when i just left it in neutral it was fun. Is this just normal proceedings? or should I get it checked? Cheers.

Dean

Gday guys, i havent started my engine for coupler weeks. Gave it a good flush over the weekend and when i revved abit high abit of smoke(looked like burnt oil) came out of the exhust and prop from the outboard. But when i just left it in neutral it was fun. Is this just normal proceedings? or should I get it checked? Cheers.

Dean

yer make thats normal my motor dose it as well.

Hi Dean, what you are seeing if the results of burning 2 stroke oil in the older design carby engines. Pretty normal to see a little smoke upon start up and should not to too bad after that. A good quality oil will burn cleaner than a budget priced one, so not sure of your HP, but the minium I would run would be XD-50 and if it is an oil injected engine the best is XD-100.

Just make sure the engine is running as designed and is reaching operating temp, you are running the correct plugs and use the best oil available (the extra $10 odd is worth it in the long run).

Cheers,

Huey.

I've got a 2 stroke 2001 mariner.

It's sort of blueish. Idle revving.

Only smokey when i revv it first and also right when i start the engine, but when its just sitting in neutral theres no smoke.

sounds like its ok - blue smoke constantly can indicate too much oil in the premix but this would lead to constant emmission of blue-ish smoke. If its only blowing at start up it sounds ok.

Are you sure that the engine is running at the correct temperature? If the thermostat is stuck open , it wont get hot enough to fully burn the oil , and will blow smoke.

That oil is adequate , but for best protection and clean burning , the X 50 oil is the ducks guts , as Huey suggested.

Ross