Penn Applause 3000

slinkymalinky

Got a big surprise last weekend. I bought a Penn Applause 3000 a couple of years ago in a 'clearance sale' bin. Got it as a cheapie for my eldest daughter who's not so into fishing (some sort of genetic anomoly I guess) and from memory only paid something like $30 for it.

It caught my eye because of the metal body which I thought was a bargain for that price. Imagine my surprise when I pulled it apart to service it for the first time on the weekend only to find its also full of oversized Penn HT100 carbon composite drag washers.

No wonder it's performed so well for so long despite the price I got it for. Does anyone else own one of these reels? What do you think of it? I swear it pushes my Stradics for component quality.

Are they still in the market or did they go the way of the dinosaur? I doubt I'll ever find one in a dump bin like that again but if I'd known I would have bought about a dozen of them.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Slinky, just had a quick web surf, they sell today for about $100.00, 5 ball bearings and look like a solid reel, I have a mate who owns one , not sure if it is the 3000 , but I will ask him about it and put up a post for you ...Cheers ...

I own a three of these and their a really good reel for the money, like most modern reels the anti reverse bearing can sometimes give trouble but otherwise as solid as a rock. They run from about one hundred to one fifty bucks at a decent discount t tackle store.You don’t usually find them in the discount bin, in fact my local tackle store usually wacks up the price before any clearance sales.

Slinky, i believe thay are still around. I once bought the slightly more upmarket Penn Affinity for $115 as a thrasher and was suprised at the quality and strength for such a cheapy. The affinity has a full metal body and rotor which makes it a tad heavy but at that price its hard to complain. The drags are indeed incredible smooth and powerful.

Cheers

Red

I own a 4000 which is now a bit of a back up but i use to use it frequently.

The best Sydney charter operator has them for his clients which was where i first found out how good they were from everything from squid to kingies.

A well known Sydney Harbour Charter operator uses the Penn Applauses. I have used his and they were fine. A little bit rough but quite capable of pulling in rat Kings and Salmon on the troll.

Edited by Cephalopod