Shovel Nose Sharks

forliano

G'day Fellow Raiders,

Got a question that I am hoping someone may be able to help me with...

I have spent many fishing sessions on the beach and rocks, and normally can rely on catching a couple of shovel noses each session.

Here the question lies, I was at my local yesterday talking about fishing with 'rex hunt' - thought he knew more!

And he reckons that shovel nose sharks are great eating, he said that they are just like a big flattie...

Was wondering what everyone else thought... If they are good how do you clean and cook??

Thrown back many feeds for nothing else by the sound of it...

Cheers

Ben

Handled properly and bled straight away and cleaned in fresh saltwater most small sharks are quite palatable.

Shovelnosed Sharks or Rays as they are sometimes called can be cleaned just like any other fish except the skin must be removed and there is a bit of waste trying to do this.

I must stress that they need to be cleaned quickly and not just left on the sand for ages as they can get a nasty taste through the flesh if not looked after.

The cooking is just like any other fish and battered will make an acceptable meal.

Regards Stewy

Handled properly and bled straight away and cleaned in fresh saltwater most small sharks are quite palatable.

Shovelnosed Sharks or Rays as they are sometimes called can be cleaned just like any other fish except the skin must be removed and there is a bit of waste trying to do this.

I must stress that they need to be cleaned quickly and not just left on the sand for ages as they can get a nasty taste through the flesh if not looked after.

The cooking is just like any other fish and battered will make an acceptable meal.

Regards Stewy

Cheers mate,

Best left to fight another day you rekon? I might give the next one a go on the BBQ...

G'day Fellow Raiders,

Got a question that I am hoping someone may be able to help me with...

I have spent many fishing sessions on the beach and rocks, and normally can rely on catching a couple of shovel noses each session.

Here the question lies, I was at my local yesterday talking about fishing with 'rex hunt' - thought he knew more!

And he reckons that shovel nose sharks are great eating, he said that they are just like a big flattie...

Was wondering what everyone else thought... If they are good how do you clean and cook??

Thrown back many feeds for nothing else by the sound of it...

Cheers

Ben

hi ben stewy is right but if you want to clean the skin off without wasting any meat you clean them the same way as a pig get a sharp knife put it in boiling water for a minute then scrape it off as if your scaling it if the water is to hot you'll take off some fleash as well and make a mess of it and if to cold the skin won't remove at all but at the right temp comes off pretty easy

cheers warren

Watched a fish co-op worker doing a load of these once. No messing around, just straight knifing it. These guys can make filleting anything look easy though. From the amount getting done some-one eats them and I hear the fins get top dollar as well.