What Knot For Braid Line

micren

Hi ,

I am a new fisherman & have a 7 ft carbon fiber shakespear rod with an Abu garcia Cardinal reel. I fish off a jetty at the rear of a house on Lake Macquarie

I have been given a gift of 2 x 300 yds of Berkley Fireline braid [1# 6lb crystal .. 2# 10 lb smoke ]

I know only the half blood knot, but I am confused about which knots are suitable for braid

The web says different suitability for the same knots.

I would realy like some help from you guys that have experience !!

I use bottle squid & prawns as bait ..I have not learnt how to use a soft plastic lure yet

Is the polamar knot O K for braid.

Many Thanks

Mike Post

The double uni knot is great as an all rounder and I prefer the 5 turn surgeon loop and the albright is another favourite of many fishos.

Try all three and see which one you like the most and stick with it.

Cheers Stewy

Braid-to-leader knots are constantly discussed in forums such as ours and each knot has its own diehard supporters. (for instance, I prefer the double uni :biggrin2: )

However, Stewy has named probably the best three knots to consider or learn. Try them all and decide for yourself.

You will find animated instructions on how to tie the albright and surgeons loop at the top of this page. Just click on 'knots' :thumbup:

Good luck mate

Hodgey

Thats good you know the blood knot. Its a very good knot for mono line. Not so good for braid tho.

I myself like to tie a double in braid with a bimini twist for maximum strength.

Whatever knot you choose make sure you tie it carefully and practice makes perfect.

Slim Beauty is a fantastic knot. Easy to tie and very strong. It also lends itsef to little imperfections which is important especially when tieing it in the field.

Albright is a great knot but, unless you tie it absolutely perfectly, it will fail.

Slim Beauty is a fantastic knot. Easy to tie and very strong.

Going to have to give that knot a test, thanks for the name drop.

Albright is a great knot but, unless you tie it absolutely perfectly, it will fail.

I find that the improved albright is a lot better, I always add a little graphite powder and it always goes perfect. :thumbup:

Edited by reLapse