Mulwala Report

Moro Mou

I headed South on the weekend to hit Lake Mulwala hoping that Murray Cod were going to be on the menu. Unfortunately after a heavily delayed flight and comments on our arrival like “you should have been here two weeks ago”, expectations were not high. Another guy had been on the lake all day and for his efforts only managed a lonesome Redfin. Regardless we had the boat in the water by about 3pm are did a combination of trolling and flicking spinner baits and hard bodies at snags. 50 or so casts later my mate called . . . “yep I’m on” and before long he had a very fat cod boat side. I did the handy work with the net and then onto the measuring mat. At a tad over 55cm it was legal but after a few quick snaps back into the drink she went. We battled away until dark but couldn't not tempt anything else.

They were in the process of filling up the lake and appartently the cold water inflow had turned the fish off the bite. Local knowledge is the key in situations like this which unfortunatley we did not have.

We gave it another bash in the morning where the temp chilled you to the spine. I dropped a reasonable fish when trolling after which the motivation for continuing in the cold reduced even further and by 1130 we were back at the ramp . . . . just as the rain started.

Anyway that is fishing and i look forward to giving it another crack when it is warmer.

A pic attached.

Cheers

post-8087-1217228762_thumb.jpg

Nice fish mate. Well done.

I hope to head down for the Mulwala Classic in Dec. Registration should open in the next couple of weeks. Accomodation has been organised and the tackle box is starting to fill with Twin Spins, Mumblers and Oar Gees :thumbup:

Hodgey