What Reel For Kings In Botany Bay ?

love2fish

I have just bought a pflueger supreme rod 4-8kg 6'6 foot for inshore fishing for kings in Botany Bay,im looking to match it up with a spinning reels,i am not ure if a 3000 size will be adequate..im leaning toward the daiwa sol 3000 with probably 20lbs or 30 lbs braid....

will this do or shoul i go too the 3500 or 4000 size???

I would look at a 4000 size (going on Shimano sizing).

The three thousands (I have two) are a tad small for 30lb braid.

The Branzino and Certate are good choices in the Daiwa stables.

Those Pfleugers are great perfoming rods for their class so the larger reel would go well for typical Harbour Kingies.

Let us know what you decide. :biggrin2:

If you're going to use 20lb then you'll probably get away with a 3000, but having the extra line capacity on a 4000 can always be helpful with kingfish. The SOL should do nicely and i believe they've recently added a 4000 size reel to their range.

How much are you looking to spend?

Josh

3000 daiwa will be fine, you can put 30lb on a sol easy plus you don't need a huge line capacity for kings cause you either stop em or they reef you.

sol has about 7kg of drag i think? should be adequate for most botany kings.

cheers alex :beersmile:

Edited by frangkie

$300 will be as much as the wife would let spend(early father day present).Im a huge Daiwa Fan and i love the look of a certate would also match with the rod but $500 shel will cut my ***** of..

yeah there is a Sol 4000 i wonder what the drag on that is..should be 8 kg...

just took a closer look at the Certate,i cant believe the 2500 has 7 kg Drag,holds 150m of 30lbs braid and only weighs 250 grams :1worthy: well i guess why they cost $515

I'd really like a certate too, i did find them for about $350AUS, this was in a japanese tackle shop online though. Definitely worth it if you ask me though, getting it $150 cheaper

30lb braid might be a little bit of overkill on that rod. Most of those reels would easily handle enough drag to be able to fish 30lb to its limits. You'll get a bit of extra abrasion resistance from 30lb but if it touches reef it won't matter if it's 50lb... it'll still pop like cotton.

If you want to fish 30lb and be able to use the extra breaking strain by upping your drag settings... fish it over a gruntier rod like a 5-10kg T-Curve or a light jig stick. Otherwise you may as well fish 20lb.... the rod would probably still break before you could pop 20lb braid through it.

Cheers, Slinky

Japanese tackle store u say??????$350 hhhhmmmm thats interesting,is it the same as the australian certate also how much would the 3500 hd custom cost? now that looks like a nice reel

$440 for the 3500HD and yes they're the same range of reels.

Josh

William,

My suggestion is go & compare. I looked at the Sol 3000 & the Shimano 4000 Twin Power side by side & they were amost identical in size & capacities. I opted for the Sol & matched it to a Nitro Viper rod. Loaded it with 20lb Suffix braid & it's worked out being a very nice combo. The Sol looks fantastic on the black Nitro. I think the Sol 4000 would be a great reel however I doubt you'd need the larger size.

Paul

William,

My suggestion is go & compare. I looked at the Sol 3000 & the Shimano 4000 Twin Power side by side & they were amost identical in size & capacities. I opted for the Sol & matched it to a Nitro Viper rod. Loaded it with 20lb Suffix braid & it's worked out being a very nice combo. The Sol looks fantastic on the black Nitro. I think the Sol 4000 would be a great reel however I doubt you'd need the larger size.

Paul

Wow i think those viper rods look awesome,i have my heart set on a certate now,i dont know which model though.

What sort/class of rod do you have that on?

I use the Mid Spin model Starlo StiX Tournament Pro Spin rod.

stpmidspin.jpg

• Length: 7'
  • Pieces: 1
  • Line Weight: 3-6kg
  • Lure Weight: 7-21g
  • Guides: Fuji SiC

For information sake I use Nitlon for my braid and fluoro carbon

Edited by reLapse

Ok i think i have decided,i am going the sol 3000,i just think that certae 3500hd would look awesome with the Pflueger supreme rod :(

That's a fantastic combo! I have a very similar setup for luring kings....Pflueger President 4-6kg paired with a Daiwa Advantage 3500 (it's the silver version of the Sol). You'll be very pleased with your choice.

Kit