New Stradic Have They Sorted Out Line Lay Problems?

my03

the older stradics particularly in the smaller sizes with high memory braid like fireline had a filthy reputation for poor line lay resulting win wind knots even when theres not so much wind...ive felt the pain too many times, have shimano gotten their act together? hows the line management line for the fi stradics?

im tossing up between tierra and new fi stradic and it just annoyed me that my 80 dollar daiwa cy managed braid alot better than my old stradic which was double in price not to mention the cy had the decency to include an air bail :thumbdown: ?

I did however like the finish and smoothness and general quality feel of the the new stradic not to mention the sweet ring the spool sets off when the drag runs, im happy to overlook the tightarse from shimano of not including an air bail if they have improved in the line lay department.

for those that have used the new stradic, how well does it lay your line?

got one myself to play with a while ago...loaded it with 4lb nitlon and 2nd cast WOOOOFF splatter lose line fall of after 1 retrieve.. thought to my self..go figure..serve me right for buying a shimano..BUT i persisted and bumped up to 6lb nitlon. the bit of extra bulk in the line makes a massive difference and havent had a problem since...

over all im pretty impressed with them, thay have made some great improvments, so from a daiwa man ill give it 1 thumb up out of a possible 2...

oh and they look quite spiffy as well...thats always a bonus !

G'day My03... send Cephlapod a PM. He's used both extensively and will let you know. I've got both older and new Stradics but I didn't really have problems with the older ones (not sure why) so I can't be certain. Ceph has made a lot of posts where he is a big fan of the Propulsion line management system on the newer Shimanos

Cheers, Slinky

My mate working at a tackle store told me that the stradics, including the new models are not being made anymore. Apparently they didnt sell too well compared with other reels in the shimano range. That was a bit of a suprise to me actually i always thought they were pretty good.

G'day Musty,

Putting on my 'branding' hat for a moment... the mistake I think they made was to move away from the Stradics being white with their new model. The old reels were really distinctive looking and so you always knew who was using them... always saw plenty in the fishing mags. Now, they're a great reel that looks just like lots of other great reels so they've lost one of their key distinction. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Not surprised if their sales have dropped right off.

Slinky

I am right here.......

Shimano have fixed the issues with the new FI model. I agree that they are no longer a striking looking reel.. in the white, they were unique and you could always spot one from a mile away. :thumbup:

I am right here.......

Shimano have fixed the issues with the new FI model. I agree that they are no longer a striking looking reel.. in the white, they were unique and you could always spot one from a mile away. :thumbup:

thanks for all the replies, how would you compare the straddie to say a tierra or advantage of similar size?

I have 1000fi stradics on both my fishfinder rods and havent had any problems at all One has 2lb crystal fireline and the other has 2lb stren microfuse The problem may not be the reel but the rod could be the cause It is all to do with guide size and positioning Fishfinder Tony has a lot of knowledge on this and is worth asking about it I know if I went up to 2500 size reels on those two rods I will have problems as they are built to take 1000-1500 size reels

I have 1000fi stradics on both my fishfinder rods and havent had any problems at all One has 2lb crystal fireline and the other has 2lb stren microfuse The problem may not be the reel but the rod could be the cause It is all to do with guide size and positioning Fishfinder Tony has a lot of knowledge on this and is worth asking about it I know if I went up to 2500 size reels on those two rods I will have problems as they are built to take 1000-1500 size reels

Wow never thought about that before......

Is it the distance between reel and stripper guide or just the size of the stripper?

I went from 1000's in brand S to 2500's in brand D to fix the problem, which it did using the same rods.

I even have a Mega Bass Shoreluck with tinny guides on it and still no probs with the Exists in 2500's, I use Sensor braid, Untika and Microfuse on my light stuff.

G

Hi Iceman

Andrew Good reply mate. As to reel size and rod guide configuration to suit it seems that, instead of getting advice, people are doing it by trial and error and ending up with mismatched combos and line problems.

Reel and rod matching could be a costly excersize particularly when people are looking to buy a stronger rod to go with a favourite small diameter reel where a good rod match is critical to smooth line distribution.

It would be good to hear from others who match rods and reels properly for best performance before they buy, instead of updating reels/rods or just going off line ratings.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

From what I understand it is not just the stripper guide but all of the them size and distance but the most important two are the stripper and the next guide up There is a huge difference between using fireline and mono Mono is far more forgiving and you can use a range of different setups

I would be very surprised Greg if Ian didnt ask you what reel you would be putting on a new rod