Sea Floor Maps

jim77

Anyone out there know if it is possible to purchase maps of the sea floor? I have heard people mention them before - just wondering where i can get hold of one from. I want to do some exploring :1prop:

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

jim

Anyone out there know if it is possible to purchase maps of the sea floor? I have heard people mention them before - just wondering where i can get hold of one from. I want to do some exploring :1prop:

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

jim

Hi Jim,

If you have agood mate that is in the Navy,he will help you out

best maps available,all your depths,bottoms , wrecks,shoals,gravel etc.

cheers Rick.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Rick as it happens i know a bloke who recently left the Navy. He might still be able to get his hands on something...

Warnie - those types of images would be good, but what i am envisaging is something like a topographic map but for the seafloor is that makes sense.

Lighthouse - i will ask around at a few tackle stores and see what i can find.

If anyone else has more info please let me know.

Cheers

Jim

Jim77 as far as I know the charts you are after are the admiralty charts that you can buy from most mapping stores there is one in the city and also wollongong I have been to both and have bought a couple in the old days to help me out and find the reefs and also take readings as you can get them in wgs 84 and transfer those waypoints to you gps

Cheers

The Navy charts can be searched on line at the following link

http://www.hydro.gov.au/prodserv/charts/charts.htm

There is a list with all the charts and you have to find your region in it oe use the "advanced" download and you can zoom in and pan around to find the area of coast you want and the map relting to it will be listed.

It will then show you asmall version of the chart.

Map centre shops have them once you know the map number

The webiste will also list all the distributors (need to be in Navy to buy direct) so you can find one near you and ring them to make sure they have it in stock.

Laminated versions cost more but better if bringing it on the boat.

Tony