Lake Maquarie

tony_v

g'day fishraiders,

looking to go up to lake maquarie around the 22/8 with the boat , anyone heard how its fishing and any tips where to go as i haven't fished the lake , only outside , we are possibly staying at belmont , but if anyone can recommend any good cabins on lakeside please give me an idea :thumbup:

cheers

tony

Hi Tony

I have stayed up at Raffertys resort a few times with family and at bream comps.

Excellent accom and pretty resonable for a resort style place.

They even have their own boat ramp in the complex and a good sized grassed area to store your boat while there.

If your going up with the family request the Villa next to the round-a-bout, villa 2 I think. It's near reception and has a good sized grass area in front to park your car and boat, great if you run an electric motor so you can run an extension cable to charge it.

Greg

Hi Tony

I have stayed up at Raffertys resort a few times with family and at bream comps.

Excellent accom and pretty resonable for a resort style place.

They even have their own boat ramp in the complex and a good sized grassed area to store your boat while there.

If your going up with the family request the Villa next to the round-a-bout, villa 2 I think. It's near reception and has a good sized grass area in front to park your car and boat, great if you run an electric motor so you can run an extension cable to charge it.

Greg

thanks greg it's just me and the wife going , we've been looking at single bedroom cabins

gday mate, i fish the lake a lot but havent been out 4 a few weeks as the fish had gone a bit quiet, hopefully things have picked up, the flateys apparently come back on in august but we,ve been getten sum good ones for the last few months, swansea channel 4 bream and flatties , the drop off were the channel meets the lake is good and i go real good on the flatties on the western side of pulbah island flicken plastics along the whole side of it between 1 to 3 metres of water (although a mate got 2 the other day over 80cm in 7 metres of water:1yikes:) i heard also that a guy got a 1metre jew in the lake cple a weeks ago, anyway good luck and i look 4ward to your post on how u went. :1fishing1:

Edited by diver1

gday mate, i fish the lake a lot but havent been out 4 a few weeks as the fish had gone a bit quiet, hopefully things have picked up, the flateys apparently come back on in august but we,ve been getten sum good ones for the last few months, swansea channel 4 bream and flatties , the drop off were the channel meets the lake is good and i go real good on the flatties on the western side of pulbah island flicken plastics along the whole side of it between 1 to 3 metres of water (although a mate got 2 the other day over 80cm :1yikes:) i heard also that a guy got a 1metre jew in the lake cple a weeks ago, anyway good luck and i look 4ward to your post on how u went. :1fishing1:

thanks mate hopefully things will get going by the time we get there , also going up this sunday to sus out a few places to stay , think we will take the rods up for some shore based stuff , maybe around the bridge at swansea

cheers

tony :thumbup:

Edited by tony_v

best place to stay swansea caravan park sth west side of swansea bridge follow channel out to point 2 boat ramps next to it good cabins with lake views good place to for dinner belmont sailing club you can pull up there in your boat 4 lunch too beer garden over water as for fishing been a bit quiet maybe try moon island just outside channel

best place to stay swansea caravan park

I'll second that, I've been going there for well over 13 years and that park is great.

You have quick access to the water, able to get to the sand flat at the back of the park by foot when the tide is dead low for nippers and it's a quick trip to the lake to start the drift.

That being said Belmont has the advantage of shortening the trip to the waters up past Coal Point and I've had some good fishing up there, you can also go to Belmont Wharf with no hassle for squid and squid's ink hotel is close too for squid.

Oh and between the islands where the channel meets the lake you can find a good spot for blood worms on low tide, if that's your thing, which go mean on the drop off and all the flats surrounding the islands when the tide comes back up.

Edited by reLapse

HI Mate,

Depending on what your chasing, the lake is on fire at the moment, althought the water has chilled and fish moved they are biting like rabbid dogs.

I got into them a few weeks back but a good mate that lives on the lake has been chasing bream and flatties with good success and some big ones to boot. Throw into the mixh bycatch of Jew and big tailor and its all good.

Good luck.

Ill be up the lake tomorrow afternoon depending on what time i get out of the offfice and hope to get out for a late arvo bream / jewie session. Will let you know how it turns out

If your after particular spots, ill happily PM some your way

Mitch

Right at the moment I'd be throwing plastics at the flathead in the channel, probably around the 5" mark in any of the "chicken" colours and in around 15 feet of water. they arent fighting until they feel the net though.

:1fishing1:

Geoff

Edited by squizzytaylor