New Boat

finaddict

Hey all,

I have recently purchased a 2002 stacer 4.5m runabout. Upon inspection I was told by the mechanic that the motor is actually 2000 50hp johnson not a 2002 model as I presumed.

Now the seller mentioned that it probably was a 2000 build but they had to import from the states and it was actually sold in 2002. He said he had paperwork to prove but showed me an insurance slip which said the motor was a 2002 which doesn't really mean anything anyway. My concerns are I've now got a motor that's 2 years older than I thought it was and am wondering how does this effect re-sale?

Just wanted to know what your thoughts are on this?(Is this guy full of sh!t? or is this something that commonly happends?)

A compression test was done on the motor and was pretty much an even 130psi. Marine Mechanic told me that it was in good nick so I decided to take the boat.

Just wanted to know what your thoughts are on this situation as I still don't know much about boating.

Thanks,

Hi finaddict when I bought my first boat it was a bfg with a 60 hp Suzy on the back, both 5 years old at that time my main concern was how good it is going to serve me not the resale value so like you had it checked all ok and I purchased the boat. It never missed a beat in 16 years that I had it and when I traded it in I received the $8500 I paid for it, as trade in, only because I really looked after her.

I have seen boats only two years old mate that look like shit and there is no way those people are going to get much money for their boat. So if it suits what you want to do with it and it is in good nick go for it

Cheers

Edited by Dorado 2

did you buy it from a dealer or private seller?

Hi, it was a private sale.

It's just that it seems a little weird that the motor on the back is a 2000 model, I just don't understand why that would be because according to the seller it was sold as a new package.(he was second owner)

Now I'm thinking if I were to buy a new package shouldn't I be getting the same year model motor and boat!?!?

Hi finaddict when I bought my first boat it was a bfg with a 60 hp Suzy on the back, both 5 years old at that time my main concern was how good it is going to serve me not the resale value so like you had it checked all ok and I purchased the boat. It never missed a beat in 16 years that I had it and when I traded it in I received the $8500 I paid for it, as trade in, only because I really looked after her.

I have seen boats only two years old mate that look like shit and there is no way those people are going to get much money for their boat. So if it suits what you want to do with it and it is in good nick go for it

Cheers

Whoa! 16 years? that's excellent. How'd you do that? Regular servicing? Wd-40 after use?

The reason why I said I'm also thinking about re-sale is because I plan to keep the boat for a long time(approx 5 years) and by then the motor will be over 10 years old. And general rule of thumb with cars once anything is 10 years old it pretty much becomes worthless. Is this the same with boats?

Cheers,

Edited by finaddict

Hours on the motor effect the value more than the age. Its pretty common for engine ages to be different to hull ages as dealers don't match motors with hulls when then order. The guy who buys the hull may not want a motor or could want any number of engine specs which the hull seller may or may not be able to get for them.

Cheers

Chris

Hi, post the full model number and I can tell you the age from that. Both the 2000 and 2002 are the same and if the engine is mechanicaly sound do not lose much sleep over it. The boat could of been sold new in 2002 with a superceeded engine fitted and that is why the outboard could be a 2000 model.

Like I mentioned if you post the model number it is easy to see the age of the outboard.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi finaddict I think this morning I suffered some sort of a mild stroke and I had forgotten that 3 years prior to selling it I actually traded the suzy for a new 70 Johnson, nothing was wrong with the outboard but since my boys where coming of an age where they wanted to come offshore with me I just changed it for reassurance and the trade in was excellent

cheers