Ice Boxes

jed38

HI Jed

Ive had a techniice 100ltr for about 3 years now they dont have the best looking finnish but do the job very well. Im happy with mine use it for camping in mid summer and it holds the ice realy well also great for parties.

Dont make same mistake as I did, I bought the 100ltr thinking bigger the better but now wish I got around 60 ltr as the 100 is too big for our family of 3 takes up too much room when traveling and cant be moved when full.

I was not impressed with the techniice ice packs, realy no better then any other ice brick and because they are supplied with gel crystel inside and you fill them with water through small pin holes in the pack that cant be sealed they never stop leaking. They leak a slimmy liquid very suspicious on meat and extremely uncomfortable on a stubby.

I have two, an 80L and a 40 L. I originally bought the 80 L for the boat, but it is a little bigger than I found I needed, so I found the 40 at the right price. Check their site, sometimes they have specials and are cheaper than ebay.

I have a 70 ltr as well which I bought cause I found the 100Ltr to big the only problem now is the 70Ltr is too big to use as an all rounder so I will be buying the 40Ltr. The ice boxes are good I only use ice in them and on the hottest days the ice will last for a couple of days with constant opening. What I have done is buy their smaller 18Ltr boxes for lunch and refreshments and I use the ice packs which are bloody brilliant and never leaked for me either but yes if you forget them in the box for a few days then they do feel a bit slimy and just rinse and they are fine again just get them out when your finished!!!!

Cheers

Seems that most if not all rotomoulded PE boxes are generic Thai products which are badge-engineered to suit the global market. Mine carries an "outermark" sticker & will keep ice for about 5 days, they all work great.

What are other Raiders' experiences??

Dirk Jiggler

EDIT: I tried the techni-ice sheets. Good product which works as claimed, however there is some osmosis. They absorb fish slime & I can't get rid of the smell despite re-soaking and iodine treatment, the very best fish-smell killer. for packaged & sealed foods they are tops.

Edited by Jigholio

Hey, i recently purchased a 70 litre for length and its great - just fit my 7kg snapper from the last trip.

Took berley away in it and used all my mates berley first so it sat in the ice box - in a garage and only started to go soft on the fourth day.

cant ask for much more than that.

Very sturdy.

Seems that most if not all rotomoulded PE boxes are generic Thai products which are badge-engineered to suit the global market.

Think you are right there. I bought the 60litre one at a leading retailer and it looks identical to my mates Techni unit only a different latch. I paid $60 during a sale which is cheap as.

Edited by achjimmy

Have a look on Graysonline as Techniice regularly have stock for auction, often sold at significantly below retail.

Unfortunately I think that most of their auctions are pick up only which is fine if you live in Melbourne. Cost to courier it interstate might make the savings less attractive.

I've had a 100lt for a few yrs now, and use it for camping which is normally for 7 days. Found the biggest tub that will fit in my esky and deep freeze and freeze it for a couple of weeks before we go and it normally lasts the 7 days.

The ice packs are ok for day trips(in small eskies) but i dont tend to use them for extended periods as they thaw out and then just take up space.

I think from memory for the esky to work at its best its must have a quarter of it volume in ice.