Oh My!

GregL

In a previous post about the boat show I mentioned the Contender Boats.

Friday morning I had organised a test run.

I haven't fished much out of a centre console boat before except on Cape York trips but thats in the tropics.

In Sydney the swell is rollier and much bigger so I had my reservations in such an open boat.

Thursday I checked the weather. 3-4m swell with dangerous conditions, prefect for a boat test! :wacko:

Today we were out to test the Contender 25 open. At 28ft OAL it's a pretty big boat for a open boat.

With a 1 level floor so theres nothing to trip on, plenty of underfloor storage plus inside the console.

We met down at Roseville boat ramp at 10:30am, Sam had the boat in the water already. 4 of us climbed in and out of the 4 knot zone it went smoothly onto the plane. The twin 250 etecs pushed the boat effortlessly to a solid 35kns cruise.

As we came out of the 8kns zone of the spit we lined up the heads and out we blasted.

Passing Groto and into the first bit of swell she lands solid and without a shudder. Increasing speed alittle more, 1 push on the trim tabs to keep the boat nose down, out threw the heads we went.

30kns in 4m seas, what a thrill!

Landing is predictable and we didn't land once harshly. The big deep V up the front was doing it's job nicely. Pulling the pegs back about a mile out we stopped to check out stability at sea. 4 of us on one side it didn't feel it had much of a lean on it at all. Perfect for landing large fish.

We blasted around a bit more before heading back to the ramp. The boat tops out just over 100km/h, holds 700lt of fuel and should make browns in most conditions within and hour. Even in fridays conditions the boat felt very sure footed and safe. We would have no trouble getting there yesterday. Checking eachother out spay wise, I had 4 drops on my sunnies and a very light spray across my jacket. others were similar. The boat is yet to be fitted with clears around the console which should fix the spray/cold issues.

If your after a pure fishing boat with one of the best rides and fitout, make sure you check out the Contenders! Now I just have to save a little harder to afford one.......

Greg

Hi Greg, yes at last years Miami boatshow I had a chance to ride in a Contender and was powered by triple 250HP E-TEC and it was awesome in the rough stuff off Miami. Also at last years CLUB E-TEC there were a couple of Contenders on the water to test, about the same size you mentioned and even though we only ran them in the channel behind Surfers (which is speed restricted to 30 MPH I think from memory) you could tell that these boats are up there with the best.

I agree with what you say mate and if the budget can stretch to a Contender they make excellent fishing rigs and would be at the top of my shopping list.

Cheers,

Huey.

Go on Greg - scare us with a price of the test boat and what they weigh fully rigged a sI'll have to include a serious tow vehicle as there is always a lottery every week to win???

The hull would have to weigh somewhere around 1500Kgs

The 2 engines would weigh... what, say.................800Kgs

The fuel with oil must be around...........................725Kgs

The other bits and pieces would be say.................250Kgs

Esky, fishing gear, water, etc??............................200Kgs

Whats that add up to - something like 3.5 tons :1yikes:

Looks like you would need a dump truck or the likes to tow that beauty.

Have you thought about going into the landscape business Pel?

You could use the dumper as a tax right off!! :tease:

The rigg weighs in at 3100kg plus your gear.

I followed it out up the hill of Rovesille ramp and the Navarra diesel got it up no problem.

It's a massive looking rigg but it's also a centre console with buggger all internals. It can be towed by most large SUV's and 4x4's but is restricted to daylight hours.

Im lucky enought to have water access near where I live so I want to put it on a floating slipway. Then it will be ready to go anytime, perfect for summer afternoon runs out to hit the kings......

Price wise with slipway installed and boat completed to my specs it comes in around $200k. I recon 1/3 of that is in the motors!

Greg

The rigg weighs in at 3100kg plus your gear.

I followed it out up the hill of Rovesille ramp and the Navarra diesel got it up no problem.

It's a massive looking rigg but it's also a centre console with buggger all internals. It can be towed by most large SUV's and 4x4's but is restricted to daylight hours.

Im lucky enought to have water access near where I live so I want to put it on a floating slipway. Then it will be ready to go anytime, perfect for summer afternoon runs out to hit the kings......

Price wise with slipway installed and boat completed to my specs it comes in around $200k. I recon 1/3 of that is in the motors!

Greg

Hi Greg

What's the story with daylight only towing? Is it due to width oversize.

The bees knees Navaras were only rated at 3000kg and not sure what current model tow vehicles are rated over 3000kg unless set up as 5th wheelers . Older model Disco were. Think I'd want a couple hunderd weight of lead in the tray of the Navara over the rear wheels , balanced triaxel and load balancing hitch to go anywhere other than the end of the road with that rig. Our heavy duty gal triaxel trailer weighs 700kg. Cheaper to buy a little truck like Mariner says as they are built to take it.

I'd ask for a weighbridge cert of the test boat so real weights are known as you'll need to know for the berth anyway.

We looked into the airberths but Watwerways blocked us in Sydney so unless you are in a strata waterway like Sylvania Waters check it out with them for approval.. Stupid as they say it is a visual pollution thing but it is so much less maintainance and better for the environment. We even offered to register the berth, put rego numbers and a outboard bracket so they got an extra rego as income. Some marinas will allow them.

Cheers

Pel

PS Great to hear that it is a dry boat as many try but not many suceed. At those speeds it would be nice to be able to hide in a cabin on the run in and out and only stand in the rain while fishing. Add a GSM alarm into the deal as all the stuff you leave on board will become a target and it isn't easy to secure a moored boat. Absolute weapon.

Edited by pelican

Hi Huey

It comes with twin 250 etecs.

G

Hi Greg, that would be awesome power for the back of the Contender. You should also price up the new 250 "HIGH OUPUT" E-TEC which are the 300HP engines with the 250 decals basically. The extra dollars, which really is not much, to go from the STD 250HP, which are strong engines anyway to the "HO" are worth it in my opinion.

PM me if you would like the Raider price on these beasts.

Pel, the reason this rig would require permits and the like is liek you said, down to be over width.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, on the Contenders I have been lucky enough to test the stabilty was great for a mono hull. As for the fuel, I think all "clean" engines are on par and with the 250HP on the transom the boat would cruise nicely at 3500-4000. As a guide the 250HP E-TEC use about 18L/Hr when using the ICOMIA duty cycle.

You can never have too much HP and if the hull is rated to 500HP it is good sense to run 500HP or as mentioned, even better with the new "HO" 250HP Evinrudes.

Cheers,

Huey.

did you end up getting the contender greg?

Still saving the extra bickies I need as it was a little more than I thought it was going to be plus I want to fish the Skeeters owners tournement in September up at Glenbawn Dam. So come end of September I should be close to ordering.

G

Still saving the extra bickies I need as it was a little more than I thought it was going to be plus I want to fish the Skeeters owners tournement in September up at Glenbawn Dam. So come end of September I should be close to ordering.

G

I heard contender had a 5% price rise! Also the aussie dollar is coming down. Has the local dealer kept the prices under control? or have they gone up?

Nah no pix, to bizzy going over the boat to take pix.

Yeah I it makes sence that they would, considering the dollar has dropped around 10% in the last month or so. Usually price on importered boats are given with very short time limits on them because of the dollar. Got my quote on the higher dollar tho! :biggrin2:

Greg

Yeah I it makes sence that they would, considering the dollar has dropped around 10% in the last month or so. Usually price on importered boats are given with very short time limits on them because of the dollar. Got my quote on the higher dollar tho! :biggrin2:

Greg

The old Grady White dealership wasnt passing on any drop in the USD to Aussie based customers early last year. Guess thats why they went out of business - met the new distributor at the boat show - seems much more reasonable kind of a guy. Dont like the off white colour on their new models though.....

• 2 weeks later...

Greg

How is the boat order going? I have been hearing about it around the traps. It may be possible to get it legally trailerable if you remove the rubber fender. I thought about it a while ago but decided against it and got something else.

How is Sam? Just watch your back. CHeers Kelvin

Hi Kelvin

Yeah all going good so far. Deposit paid and options finalised. Delivery end of the month.

Not going a trailer as I'm putting it onn a airbirth in the harbour. Makes it alot easier and managable one up if need be.

Thanks

Greg

Those air berths are a good idea. Sam is the distributor for NSW isn't he?

The only gripe I have with these boats is that the kill tanks drain into the bilge!!! If you have any fish/bait in these tanks then it will stink like something else as the contents sink into the bilge. It would be almost impossible to clean out once the rot sets in.

Should consider re-plumbing it as all kill tank contents should drain outside the boat and not into the bilge. Don't know why they don't do it in the factory as it would be such a simple job at layout stage. Bit of a pain to do after the boat is built but I would think it is essential if you are a serious fisho. CHeers Kelvin

Those air berths are a good idea. Sam is the distributor for NSW isn't he?

The only gripe I have with these boats is that the kill tanks drain into the bilge!!! If you have any fish/bait in these tanks then it will stink like something else as the contents sink into the bilge. It would be almost impossible to clean out once the rot sets in.

Should consider re-plumbing it as all kill tank contents should drain outside the boat and not into the bilge. Don't know why they don't do it in the factory as it would be such a simple job at layout stage. Bit of a pain to do after the boat is built but I would think it is essential if you are a serious fisho. CHeers Kelvin

Kill tank is lower than the waterline so won't drain directly and would need a pump . Should have a grille on the outlet into the bilge and a plug / tap so you can have a ice slurry but as you say not a very good solution to have anything drain into a bilge let alone fish slime blood and scales. Trash style pumps are expensive but on that price boat is teh sort of thing you expect

Pel

Edited by pelican

Not sure with Sam and airbirth but he did get me a second hand one for mine.....

I had that same problem in my Hornet about 5 years ago!

Did Sam fix your plumbing?

Delivery is at the end of the month so he should have time to sort it.

Did you need to install a pump or anything to drain it out?

Any other things to look at before delivery?

Cheers

Greg