Harbour Squid That Weren't

slinkymalinky

Attention to detail!!!

How many times are we told and do we realise that attention to detail can make all the difference in the world to our results... and how many times do we fail to take our own advice and reap the frustrations it causes.

Went out with BrettP this morning into the harbour and started by chasing squid. When fishing together, we've had an almost perfect record of catching squid. Only one blank since we first hooked up as a crew... until this morning that is.

We learned last summer that fishing with mono instead of braid for squid means almost no dropped squid (yes... I know lots of people think it makes no difference but we get a significant difference) so we took to always carrying a mono outfit or a spare spool for the purpose. This morning we were lazy, rigged up on braid outfits... and lost 4 from 4. All on short lines. All we managed was ink all over my boat from trying to lift one out (being lazy again) and a tentacle from another. You should have heard my language about the latter... the air was blue for about 5 minutes afterwards.

Anyway, the squid are there but don't make our mistake and take shortcuts. My bum is black from my kicking myself.

Cheers, Slinky

A great read Tony. :thumbup:

ATTENTION TO DETAIL

The advice is applicable to just about everything involved in our favourite sport.

Other sins committed are:

Failing to check your leader for scuff marks, and subsequently losing a fish

Failing to check your drag, or a sticking drag from a lack of maintenance

Poorly tied (or tightened) knots

(all of which I have been guilty of in the past :ranting2: )

Unfortunately, it usually takes a missed opportunity like yours to remind us to abide by the simple things. :(

Not to worry mate; I'm sure you will slay them next time!

Hodgey

Dudes.. I always use braid for squid and never have any probs.. :thumbup:

What seems to be the main issue with braid and cephalopods?

Lack of stretch Ceph. I've repeatedly trialled mono against braid and consistently drop between 5 and 10% of squiddlies hooked on braid vs almost none on mono. Most of the squid lost are close to the boat where the 'give' in the connection is at its least.

I often chase squid with a 4-6kg fast action rod (Strudwick Sic Stick or T-Curve) and I'm sure if I used a lighter, more forgiving blank the braid would be much less of an issue (but I prefer using this style of rod). We don't pump and wind or anything silly... just slow, steady winding to keep the pressure on. When I've lost them on braid it always happens straight after one of their 'pulsing' pulls... sort of feels like boing, boing, boing, pop (as the jags pop out)

I know lots of people who have no problems with braid so I know it's not a situation of 'mono is better or braid is better'... mono just suits the way I fish for squid better. The outcomes are very consistent. We (BrettP and I) have even had days where one or other of us fished mono while the other fished braid and still got the same result (Brett also fishes with a fast action blank, slightly lighter but also slightly shorter than mine, so lack of stretch becomes an issue for him too I think).

No big drama though... I just need to not fall into lazy habits and make sure I do what I know works better for me. Stupid to pop a tentacle though... just being far to aggressive on a heavy drag setting... lazy, lazy, lazy!

See you out there somewhere.

Cheers, Slinky

Lack of stretch Ceph. I've repeatedly trialled mono against braid and consistently drop between 5 and 10% of squiddlies hooked on braid vs almost none on mono. Most of the squid lost are close to the boat where the 'give' in the connection is at its least.

I often chase squid with a 4-6kg fast action rod (Strudwick Sic Stick or T-Curve) and I'm sure if I used a lighter, more forgiving blank the braid would be much less of an issue (but I prefer using this style of rod). We don't pump and wind or anything silly... just slow, steady winding to keep the pressure on. When I've lost them on braid it always happens straight after one of their 'pulsing' pulls... sort of feels like boing, boing, boing, pop (as the jags pop out)

I know lots of people who have no problems with braid so I know it's not a situation of 'mono is better or braid is better'... mono just suits the way I fish for squid better. The outcomes are very consistent. We (BrettP and I) have even had days where one or other of us fished mono while the other fished braid and still got the same result (Brett also fishes with a fast action blank, slightly lighter but also slightly shorter than mine, so lack of stretch becomes an issue for him too I think).

No big drama though... I just need to not fall into lazy habits and make sure I do what I know works better for me. Stupid to pop a tentacle though... just being far to aggressive on a heavy drag setting... lazy, lazy, lazy!

See you out there somewhere.

Cheers, Slinky

Actually, come to think of it, we do lose a few boatside and every now and then I catch the end of a candle..

I use a fairly fast action 3-6kg GLX and if the squid are big, no probs, if they are bite size, I tend to lose a few.

Haven't been out for a while.. it has been pretty ordinary from the shore so, thought I would give the boat a miss until it warms up a bit.

I usually use my Kingie set up rod as I dont have much boat space. 20lb braid on an 8kg rod for SPs.

I know its over kill but I dont get many drops. I use a constant and reasonably fast wind. If I use the lift-wind technique or retrieve too slowly the squid will usually drop off when they pulse. Just my two cents worth!!

I use 4lb braid/ fast action 2/4kg rod, and fish with ultra-low drag and hardly ever drop them

The low drag is a good idea mate. After I dropped my second on Saturday I thought the same thing and wound my drag right back but didn't find anymore squid. One way or another, its definitely about making sure there is 'give' in the system. Either that or someone could make squid jigs with barbed jags :074:

Slinky

The idea of using mono makes sense - squid are often strong enough to tear their own tentacles in order to escape, and extra 'give' in the line would help to prevent that.

Might take my spare spool next time I hit the stones for squid.