Absolute Beginner

bluedog

hey all,

i've been watching a few dvds recently containing fly fishing on it and would really like to give it a go.

i know nothing about it and it looks really difficult so i'm bit hesitant to say the least.

i would just like a few pointers ie how to get into it, tackle etc, and most importantly where or how to learn.

obviously i know all this will take time i'm not expecting it to happen overnight just need a gentle nudge in the right direction to get me started

thanks

bluedog

I've fished for ages and consider myself a fairly competent fisho (at best) but i've never tried fly fishing as yet so i cant help too much.

My suggestion as a first start for something like fly fishing would be to go out with a guide or charter and get them to show you the ropes ... or if ur on a budget and super keen go down to your local tackle shop and have a chat with them, they'll be able to set you up with basic gear to start off and if u have a backyard you can always practice casting flies there, or ur local park.

Then u just gotta get out there and start fishing

edit - or check ur area for fly fishing clubs

Edited by daleyboy

G'day Bluedog,

Flyfishing is pretty easy... the same way that learning to ride a bike is easy. It's a hand-eye coordination skill that takes some time and a little patience but then it will quickly just click and you'll never look back.

Chat to Go Fish or Fishfinder about the gear but I'd recommend you find yourself an 8wt combo if you want to start with salt water or a 6wt for freshwater. Around $150 - $250 will get you a useable combo... well short of the best gear but perfectly adequate to learn with and will catch you plenty of fish.

You really need someone to fish with to show you the basics. A guide is great but $$$ so if you can try to hook up with someone experienced. Most fly fishos seem to enjoy teaching novices... I think it's because we all remember what it was like. Don't expect to be able to cast well after one session but each time you go out you'll see noticeable improvements and just try to enjoy the journey.

The best place to learn is on the water. In the salt, go somewhere like Iron Cove where there's plenty of room, no obstructions and plenty of fish (lots of flatties... at least in Spring & Summer). The reason to learn on the water is not because it's more effective... it's just more enjoyable... you've got a great chance of catching fish there no matter how little your casting has developed.

Then, spend as much time as you can practicing casting in a park, on the water, anywhere you can... until it becomes second nature. One day you'll suddenly realise you're no longer thinking about it, it's just all happening, and you'll realise you're having a ball.

Then you can get out and start chasing new species, going to new places, etc. You'll also start spending more on gear and be able to appreciate the different performance you'll get.

Cheers, Slinky

thanks for the tips guys.

now i have a starting point, still pretty daunted by the whole thing but now i'll be looking in the right direction to get me going.

once again thanks for your help

bluedog

Come to the Social on September 28th and I will teach you how to cast and double haul and roll cast to get you on your way.

Cheers Stewy

Come to the Social on September 28th and I will teach you how to cast and double haul and roll cast to get you on your way.

Cheers Stewy

thank you for the offer but i will be on my footy trip away that weekend unfortunately.

Cheers Nathan