Saturday Night Fishing

sam0216

Hi raiders~

This is my second post still new hehe

well i set out around 7 and arrived at la pa rouse,we fished on the bridge on the way to bare island, we tried squiding however the wind was way to strong for us to get a good cast out. So me and my mates started changing rigs and just set up a float right rig with glow sticks, but still no luck! :1badmood:

After fishing for 20minutes with no bites at all, and wind killing us, we decided to move on to cliffton gardens,

This is where the action really happened, we had no action however for the first couple of hours, so we decided to just put on whole squids and pillies, and left them on the line without a sinker. The wheather started to get even colder so while we were trying to start a fire, my rod nearly flew off the wharf, but i was able to catch it, this is where to fight began, i was using 50lb line, and this thing kept on going, we fought for like 30minutes, and my mates helped me pull in the line, drag in drag out, but, after a good fight we couldnt afford to give me drag,because we had nearly ran out of line, and the fish got unhooked.

after all that we managed to just catch a pike

Any ideas what kind of fish that could of been?, the other anglers where saying a 20kg jew, but i think it could of been a huge ray :(

thanks guys

Hi raiders~

This is my second post still new hehe

well i set out around 7 and arrived at la pa rouse,we fished on the bridge on the way to bare island, we tried squiding however the wind was way to strong for us to get a good cast out. So me and my mates started changing rigs and just set up a float right rig with glow sticks, but still no luck! :1badmood:

After fishing for 20minutes with no bites at all, and wind killing us, we decided to move on to cliffton gardens,

This is where the action really happened, we had no action however for the first couple of hours, so we decided to just put on whole squids and pillies, and left them on the line without a sinker. The wheather started to get even colder so while we were trying to start a fire, my rod nearly flew off the wharf, but i was able to catch it, this is where to fight began, i was using 50lb line, and this thing kept on going, we fought for like 30minutes, and my mates helped me pull in the line, drag in drag out, but, after a good fight we couldnt afford to give me drag,because we had nearly ran out of line, and the fish got unhooked.

after all that we managed to just catch a pike

Any ideas what kind of fish that could of been?, the other anglers where saying a 20kg jew, but i think it could of been a huge ray :(

thanks guys

Hey Sam, :1welcomeani:

Was the fish fast or slow?

And did anytime during the fight did the fish stop moving and just sit on the bottom? (sometimes for minutes at a time)

If it was reasonably slow and it did sit on the bottom after a while, then most likely it was a ray...

Large rays will always sit on the bottom at sometime during the fight.. they just sit there and you just can't move em whatever you do... Its almost as if they don't know they've been hooked!

Another possibility is that it could have been a large Port Jackson Shark.. I've caught them to 17kg and they fight similar to a ray... They don't seem to have the stamina of a ray though, and soon they just become a dead weight and if feels like you're reeling in a wet rag.

Back luck on losing the fish.. but I guess its better to get some action than nothing at all :)

Chris

Edited by Kit

yeah thanks chris

i think it might of been a ray, to your description because it did take heaps of drag, then it would stop

for a while, and then we had to reel it in, then it would take drag again

bummer

but definitly a huge ray then

Sam,

As a regular at Clifton I'd appreciate you & your mates not lighting fires on the jetty. Apart from being illegal it is dangerous & leaves a horrible mess. This is a very popular fishing location & the rubish that gets left on the jetty is disgusting & that's not counting all the crap that gets blown into the water that we can't see. There are plenty of considerate fishos that get down there that make an effort to keep the jetty clean & free of bait scaps, disgarded line & hooks & what pisses me off most, beer bottles. There is nothing wrong with having a few beers when you're fishing but please have the decency to clean up after yourself wherever you are. Well that's my 2 bobs worth.

And for sure it would have been a ray you hooked. There are plenty in the area willing to take lots of line & then bust you off.

yeah thanks guys,

about the fire sorry about that, but we never really got it started, all we had were some wood and some safety matches.

yeah i can tell why you guys get so angry, coz we did see others light a fire and we tried copying them, however they used fuel to get it alight.

I understand what you mean how trashy the wharf is, sorry guys wont happen again

:(

sam.. if its really cold and you want some heat, I'll tell you what I do in winter.

I get those foil roasting trays and punch lots of holes in the bottom so that there is enough air flow.

I then put on some Easy Lite heat beads and light it up.

no need to use firestarters, just don't put too many at first, otherwise the flame is really big... After the initial flame goes out, you can add more heat beads... you now have a heater that will last hours.

but just make sure you clean up after yourself...

I like the others on this forum get really annoyed at fishermen that leave their rubbish all over the wharves.

Everytime I hit my fishing spot i find I'm spending a lot of time just cleaning up after those before me. Its ok to make a mess, just remember to clean it up :)

Chris

Edited by Kit

sam.. if its really cold and you want some heat, I'll tell you what I do in winter.

I get those foil roasting trays and punch lots of holes in the bottom so that there is enough air flow.

I then put on some Easy Lite heat beads and light it up.

no need to use firestarters, just don't put too many at first, otherwise the flame is really big... After the initial flame goes out, you can add more heat beads... you now have a heater that will last hours.

but just make sure you clean up after yourself...

I like the others on this forum get really annoyed at fishermen that leave their rubbish all over the wharves.

Everytime I hit my fishing spot i find I'm spending a lot of time just cleaning up after those before me. Its ok to make a mess, just remember to clean it up :)

Chris

sam another go for warmth is,buy a little imitation webber from the 2 dollar shop

the small ones about 12 buckstake some fire lighter and some coal and small logs to fit in webber ,fire it up

and belive me u will be warm with out making a mess.and on the plus side u can alway cook up some fish u caught too.lol

anyway thats my advise ,and its a proven and tested way ,as i always use it in winter.ive had coppers on wharfs come up and they have never told me to put it out,just clean up when u leave