5m Quinnie Fuel Leak

Dhutchy

G'day raiders, my Quintrex Freedom Sport 500, which has a 2 stroke 90hp Mercury Outboard and dual long range fuel fitted, has a need to leak fuel. I bought the boat 2nd hand earlier in the year and its seeping fuel, usually only after the tanks have just been filled. My driveway slopes slightly to my garage, I park the boat and out it comes.

Fortunately, there are no smokers in the family. Anyway the logical solution is to raise the back of the boat a bit, not fill the tanks so much, or perhaps find a way of plugging the seepage outlet, does anyone know of suitable temporary plug that would remedy the problem in these days of expensive fuel. It seems to do it irrespective of whether the fuel is off or on.

The front of the trailer is resting on the lowest point of the jockey wheel, the fuel is off, and there still remains the tiniest bit of seepage. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Rgds and thanks

Dhutchy

Can you describe exactly where the fuel is leaking from ? Possibly the fuel breather? How much fuel are we talking? or take a photo showing pipe connections. Does it only occurr when the tanks are 100% full or all teh time and also when trailering?

If it is / was a factory fitted option I would be speaking with the manufacturer as you won't be the only one and they will have suitable solution.

As a general rule the breather pipes should be mounted in such a way so that fuel surge or expansion won't spit fuel out the breather. Many tanks are poorly designed without surge plates and no air header space for fuel expansion in the top of the tank. badly positioned breather and fuel fillers are pretty normal as well unfortunately as they can allow overfilling of the tanks.

Hi Dhutchy, yes Pel could be right with the breathers, but usually the breather hoses have a loop which will stop this sort of thing, but check anyway. My money will be on a leaking sender gasket because you say only really happens after filling up. Pretty easy mate to lift the floor and inspect the sender and gasket and replace. This is not a common problem but we have seen it a few times in the past.

Cheers and let us know what you find,

Huey.

Hey Pelican and Huey, thanks for the tip I will have a more detailed search and rescue mission and get to you. Yeah, it only seems to occur after filling the tanks, after that it seems to settle down, and its only seepage, out of the breathers at the stern. I don't see it on the trailer, or coming off a ramp.

How about this for a twist though, I had this boat serviced at a certain operation on the North Shore (not Huett Marine), with this fault being mentioned, and paid for among all the other stuff of a $700+ service fee.

One thing that need remedying was a fuel tap need to be added because the old one had rusted out. To cut a long story short, they had fitted a replacement in such a fashion, that moving from tank one to off, or tank one to two, or vice versa couldn't have been acheived without removing the back bench seat. :mad3: Rendering the function of two long range fuel tanks somewhat obsolete. :mad3::mad3:

Having this fault reoccur doesn't make me a happy camper :mad3::mad3::mad3:

I will check it out and keep you posted.

Thanks for your advice :biggrin2:

Cheers now

Dhutchy