15 &25hp Etecs

Juggs

Hi Juggs, your dealers need to be more on the ball. We have been told by BRP that by about Decemeber these will be available to the public and the pricing will be similar to 4-Strokes of the same HP. To give you an idea most 4-Stroke 25HP sell for about $4,500, all though, at present while stocks last BRP are heavily discounting 25HP 4-Stroke Johnos B4 the new E-TEC arrive.

From what I have seen of these new E-TEC and been told they will perform above their HP like all E-TEC and offer the best of both worlds. I will be running some at Club E-TEC in October so then i can talk from first hand experience.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Juggs, your dealers need to be more on the ball. We have been told by BRP that by about Decemeber these will be available to the public and the pricing will be similar to 4-Strokes of the same HP. To give you an idea most 4-Stroke 25HP sell for about $4,500, all though, at present while stocks last BRP are heavily discounting 25HP 4-Stroke Johnos B4 the new E-TEC arrive.

From what I have seen of these new E-TEC and been told they will perform above their HP like all E-TEC and offer the best of both worlds. I will be running some at Club E-TEC in October so then i can talk from first hand experience.

Cheers,

Huey.

thanks huey, well guess ill have to go have another chat with them :), although at that pricing and the amount of use i do a new 25 2 stroke tohatsu are 2300 each atm

one question how do etec get round the issue of mislabled engines ie 115 ho = 130 hp or a 25 which would be max for my boat having a engine that is actually over that.

what do the insurance companies think ?

Hi Juggs, yes a basic carby 2-Stroke will be cheaper, but it is like comparing a Kia to a Mercedes-both are cars, but not in the same league. A Tohatsu 25HP and an E-TEC 25HP are two totally different engines and BRP are not worried about "dirty" engines.

All manufacturers have families of engines and either by carburation or EMM software they produce different HPs. In the case you mention the "HO" 115HP is still called a 115HP even though it pushes the 10% limit and does 126HP at the prop, so as long as it is called a 115HP that is all the insurance companies look at. The new 115HO will allow many boats here in Oz and world wide, rated to only 115HP, to fit the most powerful in terms of torque (very important for planning boats easily and cruising at lower RPM) and the fastest 115HP on the market, as well as have a fuel efficient, clean and quiet outboard. The 25HP, being the same engine as the 30HP will always be under stressed doing its HP and being the biggest CC in its class nothing will keep up with it.

I say the following all the time- it will be a shame when the day comes, like in the US and Europe already, where because some guy in the EPA says you can not buy a cheap small carby engine. You only option will be to buy an expensive engine, because as you said some person might only use his outboard once a month and only run for an hour, but he or she, if they want a new engine, will be forced, in the not too distant future, to buy an expensive outboard. There will, in my opinion, always be a need for cheap engines upto 30HP that in reality do not use alot of fuel anyway, but becasue the EPA has targetted the outboard industry you will not be able to buy new soon. In the scheme of things the amount of pollution us boaters put into the environment is SO small it really is amazing me how much the EPA has gone after the outboard engine manufacturers.

Sorry for the long post and yes if you want a cheap new outboard look at the Tohatsu and they are an OK outboard.

Huey.

Hi Juggs, yes a basic carby 2-Stroke will be cheaper, but it is like comparing a Kia to a Mercedes-both are cars, but not in the same league. A Tohatsu 25HP and an E-TEC 25HP are two totally different engines and BRP are not worried about "dirty" engines.

All manufacturers have families of engines and either by carburation or EMM software they produce different HPs. In the case you mention the "HO" 115HP is still called a 115HP even though it pushes the 10% limit and does 126HP at the prop, so as long as it is called a 115HP that is all the insurance companies look at. The new 115HO will allow many boats here in Oz and world wide, rated to only 115HP, to fit the most powerful in terms of torque (very important for planning boats easily and cruising at lower RPM) and the fastest 115HP on the market, as well as have a fuel efficient, clean and quiet outboard. The 25HP, being the same engine as the 30HP will always be under stressed doing its HP and being the biggest CC in its class nothing will keep up with it.

I say the following all the time- it will be a shame when the day comes, like in the US and Europe already, where because some guy in the EPA says you can not buy a cheap small carby engine. You only option will be to buy an expensive engine, because as you said some person might only use his outboard once a month and only run for an hour, but he or she, if they want a new engine, will be forced, in the not too distant future, to buy an expensive outboard. There will, in my opinion, always be a need for cheap engines upto 30HP that in reality do not use alot of fuel anyway, but becasue the EPA has targetted the outboard industry you will not be able to buy new soon. In the scheme of things the amount of pollution us boaters put into the environment is SO small it really is amazing me how much the EPA has gone after the outboard engine manufacturers.

Sorry for the long post and yes if you want a cheap new outboard look at the Tohatsu and they are an OK outboard.

Huey.

thanks for the reply,

id put maybe 200 litres a year through an engine. so fuel economy not a great issue

where as i clock up 4 hours just sitting at traffic lights each day :)

Hi Huey,

Is there real value for money spending the extra bucks for an E-Tec in the lower horsepower range?

Understandably, it makes sense to purchase that technology in the gas guzzling higher horsepower engines.

For the "affordable" tinny and tiller steer smaller horsepower range of engines; what "sales pitch" would you use to justify spending those extra dollars, that could be used to more practicability on a larger set-up, that may be more justifiable to a serious recreational angler wanting to accommodate his family in more comfort and safety.

Does that question make sense?

Cheers

Mariner

Hi Huey,

Is there real value for money spending the extra bucks for an E-Tec in the lower horsepower range?

Understandably, it makes sense to purchase that technology in the gas guzzling higher horsepower engines.

For the "affordable" tinny and tiller steer smaller horsepower range of engines; what "sales pitch" would you use to justify spending those extra dollars, that could be used to more practicability on a larger set-up, that may be more justifiable to a serious recreational angler wanting to accommodate his family in more comfort and safety.

Does that question make sense?

Cheers

Mariner

Good Morning Mate, yes it makes sense and pretty much what I was saying. For half the guys using a 25HP the fuel savings of either an E-TEC or 4-Stroke will never be recouped, but if the day happens, as I think it will, the EPA will be the ones saying you can not buy a cheap ditry carby outboard, not a dealer.

Of course until then a $2K odd premium for an E-TEC over a carby in my opinion can be justifed because the E-TEC will come with electric start, power trim / tilt and until you have run an E-TEC and experienced how well they run compared to dirty engines I think it is worth it. Also add about $1000-$1500 in servicing cost to any other engine to be fair to E-TEC and then of course resale value will always be better with a clean engine-you never lose that $2K premium.

Cheers,

Huey.

huey have to agree with you the way e-tecs run.....when my mate first bought his from you i wasnt sure what to believe about them especially when we get to the ramp and theres a few pros there that start bagging e-tecs and going over the probs they had with theres...hes now had it for about 5 or 6 months and after driving it myself im starting to think i should put a few bucks away and save up for one to replace my 30 year old mariner:P......the other day i was towing ppl around with my mates boat on a donut and the amount of power the e-tec gav off the mark and how smooth and quiet it was just blew me away!....well thats just my new opinion on e-tecs after driving one and i love them!....

cheers flatty hunter

Hi Flatty, yes mate WE do not have any unhappy E-TEC owners. I have heard all stories and most are BS and talk is cheap. When an opposition comes along and offers you a very cheap price on his brand of outboard but you must get rid of what you are running and say how bad it was, then I question anything that might be said.

Cheers,

Huey.

wasnt trying to hav a dig or anything huey.....some of the pros down there hav more booze in their veins than blood so sometimes it is hardto know what to believe.

Hi Mate, I did not take it personally-all good my end. I know what you mean and what you are saying and it goes on alot.

Cheers,

Huey.

Here is a little test you may like to try ....

Go to any busy ramp early in the morning this summer , and have a look at which brands of engine have problems starting. You may be in for quite a surprise. See how they can completely obliterate the ramp with clouds of blue 2 stroke smoke. Watch for the cowlings to come off. These engines are not 30 years old . Some are definately under 3 .

Then watch someone start an ETEC. Turn the key , engine is running quietly. Cleanly.

Sometimes , I actually feel sorry for those who dont own one !! :074::074::074:

Ross

Here is a little test you may like to try ....

Go to any busy ramp early in the morning this summer , and have a look at which brands of engine have problems starting. You may be in for quite a surprise. See how they can completely obliterate the ramp with clouds of blue 2 stroke smoke. Watch for the cowlings to come off. These engines are not 30 years old . Some are definately under 3 .

Then watch someone start an ETEC. Turn the key , engine is running quietly. Cleanly.

Sometimes , I actually feel sorry for those who dont own one !! :074::074::074:

Ross

and you can tell these motors are under 3 years old by looking at them? when say a 70hp yammy has looked the same for 10 years ?.

but then for me having a bit of blue smoke from a motor i can put a carby kit through for a few hundred bucks instead of 2k for a new set of injectors, i can live with the smoke.

dont look after a etec just like any engine you will have issues

here we go again do i hear another 2stroke v direct injection "discussion": :1prop::1prop::1prop:

no your not hearing anything

just a fact dont look after any engine and it will play up and 2 stroke v direct injection is goobldegook

direct injection is 2 stroke btw

shame some people like to jiggle the can when their could be intelligent conversation going on

i could say something like this, in the last 12 months ive only ever seen two catostrophic gear box failures and guess what they were etecs

but that doesnt mean diddly squat as its only a small percentage of motors in actuall use, also being sponsored anglers both times the engines were covered up and didnt make the forum gossip pages

Edited by Juggs

no your not hearing anything

just a fact dont look after any engine and it will play up and 2 stroke v direct injection is goobldegook

direct injection is 2 stroke btw

shame some people like to jiggle the can when their could be intelligent conversation going on

i could say something like this, in the last 12 months ive only ever seen two catostrophic gear box failures and guess what they were etecs

but that doesnt mean diddly squat as its only a small percentage of motors in actuall use, also being sponsored anglers both times the engines were covered up and didnt make the forum gossip pages

juggs,

theres a point to every story and people are always bagging etecs just cos they are a new brand on the market......and i might only be 16 but im not completely stuiped ....im refering to the carby outboards when i said 2 stroke

and you can tell these motors are under 3 years old by looking at them? when say a 70hp yammy has looked the same for 10 years ?.

No Juggs , I didnt guess their age by looking at them , I ASKED THE BLOODY OWNER AS I TOWED HIM BACK TO THE RAMP ! Funny you should mention Yamaha though......

but then for me having a bit of blue smoke from a motor i can put a carby kit through for a few hundred bucks instead of 2k for a new set of injectors, i can live with the smoke.

and using twice as much fuel :074::074::074::074:

Ross