Blackie Fishing With Kiwi Buddies

arpie

Hi guys

I caught up with a couple of Kiwis yesterday who are camping at Forster till they sell their campervan

see http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=33508&hl=

They were watching Wendy & I fishing last week & had also seen us in our yaks (my hat is a dead giveaway!) so we got chatting & I said I would meet up with them this morning & get them rigged up for blackies & see what we could catch!

Got their gear together, only to find out that the rods would be worthy of pulling in a marlin from the back of a boat .... with equally large reels, so very heavy! However, they don't want to load up with extra fishing gear when they have plenty waiting for them at home (where they will chase big Parore to 5lb! 1:yikes:) so we made do with what they had. They had also found a couple of floats washed up at Port Macquarie, so had all the bits!

I set up both rods & gave them a couple of types of weed & then we hit the breakwall at one of my favourite spots. The tide was still just going out & we had a couple of hits, then John got a fish on! :yahoo: Unfortunately, it got off! :ranting2: Colleen had a couple of downs & then got a nice hit! :thumbup: A nice big fish (about 32cm) came to the net & was quickly despatched. About 1/2hr later, I had a terrific 'down' and connected with a nice silver 35cm blackie, also quickly despatched.

By then, it was 3pm & we had missed our lunch break!! John & Colleen kindly invited me back for lunch before setting out on the afternoon session (they love fishing as much as meeeeee! :yahoo: )

Photos were taken on their camera - may have to wait a while before we can see that tho!

I left my fish with them, as they hadn't caught much since arriving at Forster, but now they know what to do, hope to get into a few more!

Went back to the L shaped jetty after lunch, but with the wind coming up big-time, it was very cold & uncomfortable, so we only did a short session. We had a couple of hits, but no hookups ....... both John & Colleen are keen to have another go tomorrow!!! :biggrin2:

Two more Blackie Converts! Yippeeee!

Hope to get some more for them tomorrow

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

I watched a couple of older guys kill it on the blackfish at my local wharf in the Port Hacking on Monday afternoon. Both blokes caught plenty of fish. Think I'm going to have to become a convert! :thumbup:

Hi Loxo & :1welcomeani: to FIshraider! Just sit & watch the old blokes for a while & then give it a go yourself! They were probably fishing the last of the out tide - a popular time to fish. If you are new to the Dark Art of Blackfishing, a bunch of Raiders have contributed to this thread on "The Best Ever Blackfishing Tips"

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=23679

It'll help you on your way! Good luck at finding some weed or cabbage!!

Cheerio

ROberta

And now you're just rubbing it in by fishing a couple of days in a row!!

Isn't it great the way that fishing seems to still be a way to make friends quickly with strangers...and a lot of we fishos are pretty strange :insane:

Lovely that you can share your passion.

Cheers, Slinky

Roberta dont (most) Kiwis view fishing for blackies the same way Aussies view landing carp?

It's alright for you to sit up there in Foster pulling in professional levels of Luderick but your new found friends will get a hiding back home from the locals. :1prop:

Dave

hehehe Very true, Dave, but they are English & Sth African "Kiwis" who just love fish & fishing! The Maori have long favoured Parore for their hangis. But most people ignore them as a table fish, tho that is slowly changing, as I have recently read a few articles in Kiwi Fishing Mags on how to catch them!

Some Kiwis even reckon frozen veges (peas & carrot) will catch them! :1yikes:

They had their first session 'on their own' yesterday & I am yet to hear how they went! THought I might take the yak out & try for the monsters that lurk near the bridge pylons, as it is high tide in the lake at about 9.30am :)

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Loxo & :1welcomeani: to FIshraider! Just sit & watch the old blokes for a while & then give it a go yourself! They were probably fishing the last of the out tide - a popular time to fish. If you are new to the Dark Art of Blackfishing, a bunch of Raiders have contributed to this thread on "The Best Ever Blackfishing Tips"

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=23679

It'll help you on your way! Good luck at finding some weed or cabbage!!

Cheerio

ROberta

Hi Roberta, thanks a lot for your welcome. :D Awesome thread btw. I've read through it and it's got loads of great info. Nice work. :thumbup:

Yeah I was just relaxing after work with a packet of prawns but spent more time watching these blokes do their business. They where pretty quiet at first but I got to having a chat with the older bloke after a while and he gave me a few tips. Turns out he has been fishing the same jetty for 50 years so it's probably fair to say he knows what he's doing. Good old bloke, also said it was worth a try for some squid in the area so I will give that a go as it warms up and I can get past dark without freezing to death.

I didn't want to push the envolope so I didn't ask him where he got his weed but I live in Cronulla so I'm gunna scrounge arund the rocks this week and see what I can come up with. Definately going to give it a go later in the week. Wish me luck :074:

Good on you, Loxo - around the rocks you will probably find lots of cabbage too - just as good (sometimes better than weed when that is what the fish want ...... plus you may end up with a drummer too! :1yikes:

If there are any flat ledge rock shelves down there that are fully exposed at low tide, you may well find some good weed around them, especially if they are sandstone ledges, like Sydneys northern beaches. Try any creek that runs onto a beach, or golf course lakes .... also some shops sell you a good sized handfull for a few bucks!

Like you, I watched the old blokes ....... for 5 years, before succumbing to the dark art myself & now prefer it over most other forms of fishing, whether from the shore or in my yak! :) That was nice of the bloke to chat to you! Most won't!! Too busy concentrating on that float!!! :1prop:

My new buddies did really well on that day - caught 3 on their own & got a couple more yesterday! That is exceptional for someone new to the blackfish game! :thumbup::yahoo:

GOod luck - let us know how you go!

Cheerio

Roberta

Keep cultivating that friendship with the old guy - he would be an encyclopedia of knowledge!!