Saltiga Z30 Comparison To A Shimano?

braddles

Braddles,

mate I will give you a run down on the real world attributes of the Z30 and you can load up the

Shimanofish and Daiwa pages to read the specifications. Keep in mind the Saltiga is a complete metal job with all the mechanism built onto the sideplate. The gearing is also enclosed thus waterproof. I will not try to compare or comment on the Trinidad having never owned one, only to say the sideplates are composite not metal.

The body size of Z30 is roughly 2 1/2" diameter and about the same across . It weighs about 445 grams making it a very compact and lightweight reel suitable for jigging etc. as the dreaded overhead flop over is minimized. This compact design does however limit the line retrieve to about 36"/handle turn as a full spool is smaller in diameter than some. The 5.4:1 ratio helps but if flat out speed is your quest particularly in water around 100 metres plus, then check out the Trinidad retrieve rates.

Being built to tight tolerences and with high quality in mind, the Z30 has an exceptional feel and smooth

operation in all aspects. The star drag wheel has the 'clicking' graduations and will pull 22lb (10kg) of

drag all day long. Startup is smooth anywhere throughout the spool. To emphasise the reality, this reel is

smooth in every operation - drag, spool spin, when retrieving and clicking in and out of the clutch lever.

The clutch automatically engages upon retrieve, good for jigging, and the spool completely disengages for

great freespool spin. Casting is a dream with this reel when you back off the preset, not being the best overhead caster, this really blew me away for ease of control and distance. Put that down to the smooth operational capabilities, not me.

Spooling up is a treat as there is an arbor that allows braid to be tied directly to the spool without the need for mono backing, thus capacity is about 280 metres of PE4 (roughly 40lb) with room for a good length leader. Care should be taken though to watch for corrosion as braid is notorious for harbouring salt right down deep on the spool and the differing metals - alloy spool / stainless arbor - can be succeptable. It is wise, though time consuming to de-spool and thoroughly dry both braid and spool every now and again.

Although I treat mine like a baby afterwards, it gets a lot of hard use and it doesn't mark easily.

If any of this can be used in your comparisons along with the makers specs. of bearing counts, ratios etc. I am glad to help and hope you can choose a Trinidad model to suit your requirements.