Flatties At Patonga

Ray R

Hi Raiders, well Hutcho had to can our reef bashing trip so I decided to go for a trek around the rocks at Patonga.

The walk is about 20 mins or so around and past Dark Corner, found the rock from where I have fished before and stared casting plastics.

I did this for about an hour without a single touch so I walked up and around some more rocks found a nice flathead area and proceeded to jiggle my plastics all over that area, this is where they were, I scored 8 fish (all flatties) in fairly quick time and ended up with a few keepers and some throw backs, this kept me interested and occupied for a while. While all this was happening a big Raven ripped through half my box of b-b-q shapes as my gear was a fair distance away, I spotted the cheeky critter high up on one of the rocks, I hope he gets indigestion.

Well that was my half a day at Patonga, all alone , just me, the flatties and the Raven.. P.S The plastic favoured today was a satay chicken berkley jerk shad, 3.5 gram 2/0 jighead... Cheers...

post-3371-1220076231_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1220076259_thumb.jpg

Nice fish Ray - its not a bad spot there. You just have to watch the incomming tide depending on how far you walk around. Ive caught a couple of nice flatties there even a couple of bream and port jacksons. Anyhow, well done. Ever made the trek around the beach towards the Broken Bay campsite??? Cant recall what they call the area starts with a "w" I think

Hi Raiders, well Hutcho had to can our reef bashing trip so I decided to go for a trek around the rocks at Patonga.

The walk is about 20 mins or so around and past Dark Corner, found the rock from where I have fished before and stared casting plastics.

I did this for about an hour without a single touch so I walked up and around some more rocks found a nice flathead area and proceeded to jiggle my plastics all over that area, this is where they were, I scored 8 fish (all flatties) in fairly quick time and ended up with a few keepers and some throw backs, this kept me interested and occupied for a while. While all this was happening a big Raven ripped through half my box of b-b-q shapes as my gear was a fair distance away, I spotted the cheeky critter high up on one of the rocks, I hope he gets indigestion.

Well that was my half a day at Patonga, all alone , just me, the flatties and the Raven.. P.S The plastic favoured today was a satay chicken berkley jerk shad, 3.5 gram 2/0 jighead... Cheers...

4:30 pm Filleted , 5:00 pm skinned , 5:30 pm boned , 6:30 scoffed down.. Yummy they tasted great and the :wife: is happy, she loves flattie fillets.. Cheers...

Hey Ray,

Nice one. You had a much better sesison than I did. I didnt go outside but in my search for the elusive dory I tried the Valiant wreck and the livies were only down for 10 min before they had been taken by jackets. Struck out at West Head and up Pitty further. Even the reef off Lion Is and drifting off Little Box didnt produce anything on fresh squid, yakka or slimies.

We should hook up some time as I went out solo so would have been happy for you to join me when your trip got cancelled. I do most of my fishing solo but would like a some company. My boat is well set up for 2 comfortably and I drop in at Woy Woy. Drop me a PM with your contact info if you are interested.

Nice fish Ray - its not a bad spot there. You just have to watch the incomming tide depending on how far you walk around. Ive caught a couple of nice flatties there even a couple of bream and port jacksons. Anyhow, well done. Ever made the trek around the beach towards the Broken Bay campsite??? Cant recall what they call the area starts with a "w" I think

G'day Gazman, yes the first time I went there I came back in water up to my chest, and no, I've never been to the other side.. Cheers...