Molli Pt.

tangs sister

Raider of the week mate.... good on you for doing the right thing. I guess some people are worried that they've hooked a shark so don't try to retrieve the hooks... others just get busted off. But I bet there are still a lot of fishos out there who are too lazy or thoughtless to dehook them. :1badmood:

Just gives us all a bad name.

Were the hooks in its gob stainless?

Cheers, Slinky

Raider of the week mate.... good on you for doing the right thing. I guess some people are worried that they've hooked a shark so don't try to retrieve the hooks... others just get busted off. But I bet there are still a lot of fishos out there who are too lazy or thoughtless to dehook them. :1badmood:

Just gives us all a bad name.

Were the hooks in its gob stainless?

Cheers, Slinky

Slinky,

Even though they are a poor by-catch their skin patterns make them nice enough for a pic.

You know, I pulled out half a dozen hooks and 3 were stainless. That's not right at all. I would say those anglers aren't scared of removing hooks they just don't care.

You're right it does give everyone a bad name and not to mention the damage done to the stocks.

I can only echo the sentiments of the others mate. That was a terrific thing you did! :thumbup:

It's a shame there are thoughtless people out there who didn't take the time to do as you did. That critter is much better off now, thanks to you. Onya!

Hodgey

They should ban stainless hooks i reckon.

And promote circle hooks even more. I use circles pretty much for all my baitfishing with pillies, slab baits etc. The bream, trevs etc cetainly don't mind them.

Good onya mate, a bit of thought and caring goes a long way, even though they are not a take home fish for the family, they still have there place in the system. Another good fishing citizen.. Cheers.. P.S where is Molli Point...

Good onya mate, a bit of thought and caring goes a long way, even though they are not a take home fish for the family, they still have there place in the system. Another good fishing citizen.. Cheers.. P.S where is Molli Point...

Molineaux point - Where the long break wall at Yarra Bay meets the container wall.

good on ya , well done .

small thought though . why use stainless hooks in the first place ??

those things will last forever !

regards to all

scott

Scott - couldn't agree with you more... hooks cost SFA...re-using the same hooks over and over is pretty unnecessary!

well done Justin!

Well done justinjon. :thumbup: Top effort!

P.S where is Molli Point...

Hi Ray. Go to the Raiders only forum "GPS marks" in the Boating section, find the topic, "Another thread suggestion - maps for raiders", scroll down towards the end of the first page and you'll see a great map of Botany Bay posted by Kruzenax. It shows Molineaux point marked on it at coords I-16.

Cheers

Peter

Something i found earlier about stainless hooks..... have a read!

A FEDERAL Government conservation organisation is asking fishermen to stop using stainless steel fishhooks, saying they are cruel.

They also say the hooks cause unnecessary loss of marine life.

Stainless steel hooks become a problem when fish break away from the line, leaving the hook stuck in their mouth. The hooks do not rust and often cause the fish to starve to death.

Coastcare, a National Heritage Trust-funded group, wants corrodible hooks to be the ones always used by anglers.

Such hooks would rust, hopefully quickly enough for the animal to survive.

Spokesman Brian Scarsbrick said yesterday that snagged animals such as sharks, dolphins and turtles often could not eat because of old hooks and many eventually starved or, in weakened condition, fell victim to predators.

Many commercial and recreational fishermen were embracing marine conservation and this was another logical step, he said.

Sunfish North Moreton branch secretary Bill Turner said stainless steel had been introduced about 30 years ago in an effort to stop hooks rusting in the tackle box.

"Stainless steel hooks hold their point better, but I gave up using them years ago," Mr Turner said.

"I personally don't see any advantage in them."

He called on all members to abandon stainless steel.

"Our annual general meeting is coming up this month, and I'm willing to make a recommendation for Sunfish to adopt this as policy," he said.

Mr Turner said stainless steel lasted for an indefinite period and anglers should do anything that would help species survive better.

Ron Hunter, owner of Dive Forster in northern NSW, said stainless steel was a major problem, especially in sharks.

"Up to 50 per cent of all sharks observed have some form of attachments in their mouths," Mr Hunter said.

"An ordinary steel hook will rust away and cause less problems than a stainless steel hook, which can stay in place for up to two years, in which time the shark will often die."

It was unclear how long different types of hooks took to rust, but it was thought smaller steel hooks took about six months.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21413038-421,00.html

Mate...

I would like to commend you on that mate, as if every fisho done that, I am sure that our marine lift would be much stronger and there would be more fish for us to catch!!

That is something that everyone should do!!

I remember taking gangs out of a tailor once, and he thanked me by taking a chunck out of my index finger when I was releasing him... hook free...

Cheers

Ben

Well done mate..

I totally agree. if you can't land the fish, don't let it's escape to freedom end in its eventual death. black magic make great hooks but they also rust very very quickly - highly carbonised steel i believe. if the fish is good enough to bust you off, then their victory is complete by the hook rusting out.

Why not just fish like the Aboriginals up North... Shoulder high in crocodile infested water, all you see is a head, an arm and a spear and more often then not when you see the spear disappear there is a nice fish on the other end... no hooks and no pain (maybe on impact)...

Nothing worse then seeing that 50m away from you and you struggle for a hook up...

Cheers

Ben