Trolling Rigs

probably an old question to the wise heads that reside on this forum..

Basically Im hoping to do some trolling in Fiji in the coming week. This will be from a sailboat which bring its own problems but that aside my old man has recently respooled the reels with braid which is not something Im overally familiar with tying things too. So I was wondering if there are any recommendations in terms of conenctions, leaders etc

I was thinking tying a double in the braid using a 50 turn bimini and then either tying that to the leader with an improved albright or terminating with a swivel. Any thoughts on that? Im leaning to the swivel as I can then replace the leader at will. Speaking of the leader, if I go with the swivel idea then length could be an issue - but given this would be the only piece of the line with stretch I probably wouldnt want it too short? Would I also want to double the leader to the swivel to increase the shock absorbtion? or am I making things overally complex?

Any tips from the pros would help immensely!

Edited by Zuluboy

Guest Big-Banana

50 turn Bimini!?!

I tie 12-15!

Forget the Albright, use the Cats Paw to a high quality swivel, like a Shogun snap.

2m of leader is heaps, although you will need to get someone to leader the fish.

I personally stick clear of braid when trolling, theres no give in the line and you'll pull plenty of hooks.

Edited by Big-Banana

• 2 weeks later...

50 turn Bimini!?!

I tie 12-15!

Forget the Albright, use the Cats Paw to a high quality swivel, like a Shogun snap.

2m of leader is heaps, although you will need to get someone to leader the fish.

I personally stick clear of braid when trolling, theres no give in the line and you'll pull plenty of hooks.

I've towed spoons behind yachts for over 50 yrs. All over the world. Forget that lot.

You in there for the meat. 99% spanno's and Tuna. BIG Ones mainly..Mixed with the occasional Cobe.

Get yourself a 200lb handline spool. Some single strand wire 80 to 120lb bs. and a couple of push bike tubes, or Occy straps..

Use your lures. But I always had a 6 or 7 in spoon hanging of the back. Interchanged with a large red/white, jug head feather

use 8.0 suicides or Circle hooks.

Drop it back. Then just watch Tube/Occy. When it's long. There's weed or a fish on. Have a hacksaw for cutting Spanno's into steaks. and a spike. or big hammer to brain them with.

Enjoy.

Macka17

I've towed spoons behind yachts for over 50 yrs. All over the world. Forget that lot.

You in there for the meat. 99% spanno's and Tuna. BIG Ones mainly..Mixed with the occasional Cobe.

Get yourself a 200lb handline spool. Some single strand wire 80 to 120lb bs. and a couple of push bike tubes, or Occy straps..

Use your lures. But I always had a 6 or 7 in spoon hanging of the back. Interchanged with a large red/white, jug head feather

use 8.0 suicides or Circle hooks.

Drop it back. Then just watch Tube/Occy. When it's long. There's weed or a fish on. Have a hacksaw for cutting Spanno's into steaks. and a spike. or big hammer to brain them with.

Enjoy.

Macka17

Yeah - still do that with the shotgun line and you are right we are mostly in it for the meat and this method is the most effective and least hassle. But its not the most entertaining way to fish and so when the freezer is full its nice to have a go on the rods .. depending on boat speed and wind of course!

Pretty productive over 2 weeks sailing in Fiji with king mack, spanish mack, trevalle and tuna obliging us with their presence. All caught on deep divers on the long side and delicious