A Good Feed Of Flatties

james7

It was a beautiful morning as we left the Water Street ramp. I was a bit excited as it was my first trip out for quite a while.

post-4381-1220266183_thumb.jpg

We weren’t in any hurry, so we thought we’d troll down the coast for a bit, but there wasn’t any action. It didn’t really matter as it was just great to be on the water again.

post-4381-1220266217_thumb.jpg

Passed a few people fishing off the cliffs. Sure is a long way to pull up a fish, let alone the walk in! Give me Pick-A-Box Syd’s boat any day - much more comfortable!

post-4381-1220266272_thumb.jpg

We decided to try a few drifts. The flathead were scattered few and far between. Anyway, it was a beautiful morning, light breeze, no swell, and we managed a keeper flathead every half hour or so, and most importantly, there weren’t any jackets! However, we did catch a few under size snapper. Amazingly, they fought more than most of the flathead.

The wind picked up around midday so we headed back to Cronulla for a few drifts off the beach.

post-4381-1220266319_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1220266373_thumb.jpg

All in all, a great day! Twelve flatties 36-48cm. A great feed for both our families.

post-4381-1220266427_thumb.jpg

Pick-A-Box Syd was grinning despite his crook leg.

post-4381-1220266497_thumb.jpg

And those fillets were incredible!

Cheers

Peter

It was a beautiful morning as we left the Water Street ramp. I was a bit excited as it was my first trip out for quite a while.

post-4381-1220266183_thumb.jpg

We weren’t in any hurry, so we thought we’d troll down the coast for a bit, but there wasn’t any action. It didn’t really matter as it was just great to be on the water again.

post-4381-1220266217_thumb.jpg

Passed a few people fishing off the cliffs. Sure is a long way to pull up a fish, let alone the walk in! Give me Pick-A-Box Syd’s boat any day - much more comfortable!

post-4381-1220266272_thumb.jpg

We decided to try a few drifts. The flathead were scattered few and far between. Anyway, it was a beautiful morning, light breeze, no swell, and we managed a keeper flathead every half hour or so, and most importantly, there weren’t any jackets! However, we did catch a few under size snapper. Amazingly, they fought more than most of the flathead.

The wind picked up around midday so we headed back to Cronulla for a few drifts off the beach.

post-4381-1220266319_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1220266373_thumb.jpg

All in all, a great day! Twelve flatties 36-48cm. A great feed for both our families.

post-4381-1220266427_thumb.jpg

Pick-A-Box Syd was grinning despite his crook leg.

post-4381-1220266497_thumb.jpg

And those fillets were incredible!

Cheers

Peter

Nice feed of lizards. mate Im heading down to culburra around two weeks time.. going to fish the banks... but im keen for a feed of lizards too. Might try off 7 mile beach.... enjoy

drummo

well done - certainly some flatties about...

can i ask, how did you get all the flatties to smile at the same time

Hey Chris

They're not smiling!

They're singing!!! :074:

post-4381-1220268738_thumb.jpg

Hey Pete,

Looks like a great day out was had.

Cant wait to get my ol girl wet, pick her up on fathers day.

Top catch, well done.

Rod.

Hi Rod

I'm looking forward to seeing your first report with the new boat. Good luck mate.

Cheers

Peter

woah never knew what lengths people would go to catch fish off those rocks

imagine they went home empty handed

Anyone know approximately how long the walk in would be to get to those cliffs between Marley and Wattamolla? Would it be an easy walk carrying fishing gear?

Would love to know what they were fishing for and if they caught anything!

post-4381-1220337593_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

hello all

this post / question might be in the wrong spot but please don't throttle me if it is .

a great catch you had and well done - a great day out for you .

can one of the ' wise men of the sea ' please explain as to why they may be on in one area yet totally off in another that is but a few miles away .

fished Terrigal this AM with not a touch at all ( see my post Off Terrigal Today ) .

just wondering , thats all .

again sorry if it's in the wrong forum .

cheers

scott

hello all

this post / question might be in the wrong spot but please don't throttle me if it is .

a great catch you had and well done - a great day out for you .

can one of the ' wise men of the sea ' please explain as to why they may be on in one area yet totally off in another that is but a few miles away .

fished Terrigal this AM with not a touch at all ( see my post Off Terrigal Today ) .

just wondering , thats all .

again sorry if it's in the wrong forum .

cheers

scott

Hi Scott

I think many of us would like to know the answer to your question. There are many variables involved: tides, time of day, weather conditions, availability of bait fish, the bait you use, water clarity and conditions, whether the fish are feeding at that particular time, and the "skill" of the fisherman (gear, rigs, line, hooks etc).

We were drifting off the coast and marked the spots where we caught fish on the GPS, but often when we went back to the spot, we didn't get a bite(?). Usually, I have found that flathead tend to congregate in numbers in patches, but not this time. Not that I am complaining, but I was also surprised by the lack of jackets annoying us, when many other reports said they were around in numbers(?).

It would be good to hear from some of the experts to see if they have an explanation. Jewgaffer has an amazing amount of knowledge and Hodgey's proven to be a great 'flathead' expert. Perhaps someone else has some answers.

I guess fishing would be "easy" if we had all the answers all the time. The one thing I do know, is that the more 'knowledge' you have, the more you can icrease your chances of catching fish. Having said that, sometimes nothing seems to work. Anyway, a few 'bad' trips makes you appreciate the good ones!

I guess one of the things I love about fishing is unexpected rewards.

Cheers and better luck next time

Peter

Butt was that off bate bay Were You Got The Flatties !

Im planing a big trip there next weekend !! fishing around there and boat harbour

Hi cut_loose.

We caught most of the flathead down off the National Park south of Marley and covered quite a large area. We drifted all over Bate Bay in the afternoon for about two hours and only managed one flattie. It was very quiet. We didn't lose a bait apart from the one flattie! Good luck this weekend.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter Good to see another fruitfull session from Pic-A- Box Syd and yourself. You and Syd have really mastered your drift fishing. When there is a general shortage of fish as there has been, you can't go wrong moving your baits towards where the fish are holding instead of anchoring above nothing and waiting for next to nothing to move towards the bait !

When you and Syd get together you rarely miss out on a decent result and in my opinion you are playing your percentages well, keeping it simple and thereby staying in touch with your bread and butter fish.

I'm looking forward to having another chat with you both over a coffee at the Botany Bay social. :thumbup:

As to the spasmodic if not poor fishing in general this winter the reason is that the schools of mature estuary species have migrated to areas where there was at least some balance betweeen the outside temperatures and river temperatures. It's been topsy turvey this year with months of cold upon cold inside and lingering warm currents outside. Simply put even the usual big schools of breeding size trevally have migrated elsewhere this winter, as have our mature coastal bream which go into the Sydney estuarys in large numbers in a normal winter before they go out to nearby areas to spawn. Whether the Sydney area estuary fish come back in good numbers over spring and summer remains to be seen as it relies on an area's position on the coastline and the Sydney area is no fishing haven and has had a shortage of fish for years. So we'll have to wait and see whether the absence of trawlers plus good spring and summer conditions improves our close off shore and estuary fishing.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: