Barra Adventure

shane87

HI ALL, I'M HEADING UP TO MONDURAN DAM FROM 12-19TH OCTOBER AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE MIGHT BE MAKING THE TRIP AROUND THE FULL MOON LIKE ME.

I FISHED THE DAM IN MARCH FOR 3 FISH IN 6 DAYS SO HOPEFULLY THIS TIME ROUND WE CAN CRACK A FEW MORE.

Hi Shane,sounds like you could be in for a great time especially if the weather & water temp rises by

the time you go in october.

Are you going on a guided trip or driving up & doing it with your own boat & gear.

My 3 good mates that went on the barra trip i missed out on due to pulling out the last few weeks before

going to both Arawoonga & Monduran dam's, only got back last week after a short 4 day trip.

They got 10 big fish all up & lost that many more due to cut leaders,pulled hooks & bustoffs amongst the

snags.There were many fish sighted lying in the shallows & being spooked as the boat cruised past them

but because the water temp was a bit too cold,they were not very active & pretty tough to get them biting.

They got fish in both dams,with soft plastic surface baits producing the most fish,they lost some real monster's around the 120m mark after they cut straight through 80lb mono leader's which really suprised

the boys.The fish caught were all between 90cm & 106cm.

Also the guys mentioned that they couldnt believe how soft or timid the bite of these big fish was,it was

just a very small tap much like a bream & if you were not quick enough to react & strike the fish had

quickly spat the lure & was gone,if the hook stuck in though it was a very different story,all hell broke

loose & the power of there fish was realised,it was just awesome.

But if i had made the trip with them i would probably have had a ball catching some great barra like these

in the photo's below.

Maybe there would have been a 4th photo of me holding one of these awesome fish.

I hate my mates now!!!

cheers

Steve

post-4166-1220517717_thumb.jpg

post-4166-1220517758_thumb.jpg

post-4166-1220517784_thumb.jpg

Aaaah that wets the appetite.

When using plastics i run a small amount of knotable wire at the front to prevent the gill rakers ripping through the leader. Even on 80lb these big fish seem to do it with ease.

I will be driving up from sydney and picking the (work) boat up from brisbane on the way and doing it myself but i will have a little help because we have organised HOPEFULLY a day out early in the week with foxie from barra havoc in Gin Gin.

Bad luck on missing out on the trip Steve :( Those photos wouldn't help matters any, would they :biggrin2:

Best of luck Shane. Great part of the country to fish, and with plenty of trophy fish to be had ... if you can encourage them to inhale your offering! Hope you have a ball, mate

Hodgey

• 4 weeks later...