Braid On Baitcasters

Bream Mad

Just ordered a new alphas type r and automatically thought i would fill it with braid, however reading articles from tackletour it seems in USA and Japan braid is not realy that popular on baitcasting reels :wacko:

Fluoro carbon seems to get the thumbs up from all up to ITO himself.

surely the enhanced sensitivity plus capacity and minimal air resistance would be much more benificial on baitcasters as it is our bream spin gear?

am i missing something, why is fluoro more popular on baitcasters?

cheers

bm

With their bass you need some stretch in the system or you'll just rip hooks out. They mainly throw crank baits so the lure is usually continually retrieved, sensitvity is not a huge issue then.

In breaming most of the top anglers still run a rod or 2 with flurocarbon all the way threw. I personally ran 1 for pink grubbing with 2 or 3lb Sunline or when you needed full stelth factor to just get a bite.

With jumpy fish I recon mono would be the better choice, this is where stretch really comes into its own. No ripped out hooks......

Greg

Hi bm

WHen at the camping show recently at Wauchope, afterwards, I chatted with the guy doing the lure casting into the big tank & he said that the stronger braid 'throws' better than the lighter stuff, so he was using 20lb braid on a smaller baitcaster & finds it doesn't birdsnest as much as when using the lighter stuff, say 6lb.

He had no hassles tossing very light lures right where he wanted them! :1yikes:

Having said that - try both & see what you reckon!!

Cheerio

Roberta