Fish Safety

sherackattack

G'day Alex, I think you can hold most fish under the gill area, I know that Bonnies and Stripies have rough gill rakers because I have sort of roughed the old digits up a bit by holding them in the gill region, it's the spikey bits on top that give some concerns, like the flower pot (red rock cod ) he's got a nasty row of spikeys on top , and old Mr Flathead , he's got 2 nice little jabbers either side of his head, they always get me. Anyway that's just a couple of pointers(no pun intended), I'm sure other Raiders will chime in here with info for ya.. Cheers.....

For the cods and larger species I always hold them by the eyes.

Thumb and forefinger holds well in the eye sockets and even if the fish wriggles about it is still easy to maintain a good grip.

For the do-gooders, you are not actually pushing the eyes in to the body, but more-so your fingers lock on to the top of the eye sockets.

Unless you know what you're doing you're fingers can get a little toasted if you stick them in a jewies gills due to the gill rakes. if you get your fingers in between the gill plate and the gills you can be safe but this can be harder than it looks with a cranky fish. It might sound silly but maybe practice where your fingers go on a dead one first.

Another one to watch out for is the seemingly harmless looking Nanygai (the little red guys). These cute little fellas have really sharp gill plates and even around the head and eye sockets can give you some band aid practice.

If im worried i use an old rag or for bigger cranky fish with trebles in them i sometimes use a glove.

With most fish you are intending on releasing i would probably try to avoid it as im sure it's not too good for them.

Good luck

i thought jewies were bad if you got it wrong but ive got to tell you that Gemfish are the worst that ive experianced,you will bleed for sure,most fish will scratch you but the gill rakers on a gemie are like a hundred needles goin into your fingers and evey one will puncture your skin and leave you bleeding,also very hard to remove your fingers cause the more you try to remove your hand the more damage you do,.good thing they taste great

cheers arman

Gday Alex

Blackfish may look like they are always smiling but I didnt when I learnt the hard way what happens if you put your thumb on there gill plate . Razor sharp OUCH

Hungry.jpg

Cheers Ben

It's not only their physical defence mechanisms you have to be wary of mate. :(

I have had three unpleasant 'hook in hand' experiences this year, all from relatively 'safe' bream. It wasn't the spikes I needed to worry about, but the sets of trebles bouncing around the place. I use a cheap pair of fish handling gloves all the time now. Very minor protection from injury, but greater control of the fish ;) Note: keep the glove wet and minimise handling time so your don't have too big an impact on their protective slime

Cheers mate

Hodgey

post-3198-1220760193_thumb.jpg

It's not only their physical defence mechanisms you have to be wary of mate. :(

I have had three unpleasant 'hook in hand' experiences this year, all from relatively 'safe' bream. It wasn't the spikes I needed to worry about, but the sets of trebles bouncing around the place. I use a cheap pair of fish handling gloves all the time now. Very minor protection from injury, but greater control of the fish ;) Note: keep the glove wet and minimise handling time so your don't have too big an impact on their protective slime

Cheers mate

Hodgey

post-3198-1220760193_thumb.jpg

Do you crush the barbs on trebles or did you have to pull them out the really painful way?

Slinky

Do you crush the barbs on trebles or did you have to pull them out the really painful way?

Slinky

No crushed barbs. Just a pair of pliers, a quick word to the Almighty, and .... riiiip! :ranting2: Make's Deno cringe every time :biggrin2:

Hodgey